Why I Choose Not To Have A Twitter Account

Sure, you could argue that all social media websites deal with most of these issues, but at least Facebook has more cute cat videos automatically playing while I'm scrolling through my newsfeed.

199
marketingland.com

Ah, social media. Where would we be without it? Whether you choose to be a part of the movement or completely reject it, you can't easily ignore it. While I do have some social media accounts, there is one that I choose not to use: Twitter. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see the point. Now I know that not all of these reasons apply to every Twitter user, but I also know that these individuals are definitely out there. In no particular order, here are my reasons why I don't have a Twitter account.

1. It's way too easy to tweet.

Because of Twitter's simple website design, anyone can learn how to use it and everyone can make an account. That's right... everyone. That means that both the educated and uneducated can talk about whatever topic they want online without a hassle. Twitter's own mission statement is, "To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers." While this philosophy does technically promote inclusivity, I think there should be at least a few barriers. For example, when someone's tweeting about "how they ate a yummy sandwich for lunch" or "just saw a dog on the street" it doesn't really seem worth the tweet to me. There should be some type of firewall that automatically blocks out pointless tweets so the rest of the Twitterverse doesn't have to deal with their random and irrelevant updates. From what I can understand, you only get to use 140 characters in a tweet anyway, so you better use your words sparingly.

2. People get into far too many petty arguments.

Now I'm no statistician, but I'm sure that about 99.9 percent of Twitter users have sent out a tweet at some point either in support or disapproval of a friend's or celebrity's personal quarrel that has been posted online for everyone to follow 24/7. I mean, just look at how the latest feud between Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian played out over Twitter and exploded quickly into a major news story. Call me crazy, but I don't feel like I need to use my already limited free time to involve myself in such drama.

3. I know that my favorite celebrity isn't going to interact with me online so I don't need to spend time #chasingthedream.

One of the great things about Twitter is that not only can you follow your friends, but you can also follow and stay up-to-date on the lives of some of Hollywood's finest. While Twitter serves as a great platform for celebrities to promote their projects, it can have a negative effect on us "normal" folk. Some users obsess over getting their favorite celebrity to "tweet them back" or "follow them" and spend an absurd amount of time making sure that their favorite celebrity knows they exist. Even if you are one of the lucky few who accomplish this nearly impossible feat, I must ask you: what did you really accomplish? So they followed you... what exactly did you gain? Unless they invited you out to dinner and asked you to be their new best friend, I don't really see the need.

4. Twitter promotes vanity and might possibly be the most vain social media website of this decade.

While I realize that this declaration might be disputable, hear me out. Twitter's short word restriction and rapid turnover of tweets on its main feed encourages its users to act vain and draw as much attention to themselves as possible. The site's main infrastructure is built around gaining as many followers as you can to increase your recognition among others. Notice how you gain "followers" on Twitter and not "friends." When a website promotes users who gain a certain level of popularity to the title of "verified" it discourages me from using it. This feeds into people's desperate pleas to become famous or affirmed by others. That's fine for others, but I don't need verification from Twitter to judge if what I have to say is worth listening to, that's what friends are for.

5. Twitter is overtly distracting and I really don't need another social media website to add to my repertoire.

I'll admit it: Twitter does produce some pretty amusing tweets and it does spark creativity, but I think it should be branded as more of a modern distraction device than it is. Because of its quick layout and variety of tweets, I wouldn't be surprised if people spent hours scrolling through their timeline. I truly don't need another reason to avoid doing my homework or cleaning my room as I find more than enough reasons not to do my work all by myself. The overarching fact is that social media websites are time consuming and if you download them all, odds are you'll never get anything done.