I Never Really Understood Poetry

As you can tell by the title, I really don't get poetry, yet I write poems on a regular basis, Yeah, I don't get me either, but I think it's a beautiful thing to not always know the purpose or meaning behind a piece of writing. Half of the poems that I write don't really mean anything, but it's the way certain words come together, the lines break, and the emotions evoked that really make me want to write more.

On the other hand, the other half of my poems, which I don't publish on this platform, are written intentionally and serve a purpose. If I state it bluntly, these poems are the products of me being an emotional wreck. It's usually when I feel sad, angry, or confused that my best work comes out. It's just like when you push off an assignment until the very last minute that the gears in your brain really start turning, like, seriously. When I'm in that "I need to write to get all of these bottled up emotions out" state of mind, I don't stop, and the poem is usually finished in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Especially since college started, there wasn't really a certain person that I could turn to and tell them about my feelings because, in all honesty, I don't even know why I feel the way that I do sometimes. There were times in which I felt out of place in my dorm or scared whenever I thought about the future, so that's why I turn to poetry. I channel whatever it is that I feel into words, and my audience may not know who or what my poem is about, but the emotions and feelings are there. It's my way of speaking to people without actually speaking to them.

Looking back at my poems that aren't posted here, I don't know why I wrote what I did, and I don't even know what I was trying to throw shade at — well, I do, but not to the full extent. Like I said before, I really don't get me either. Simply put it, poetry is my therapy, and it could be yours, too.