Don't Throw Away Your Bottle Caps

Don't Throw Away Your Bottle Caps

A quick and easy DIY craft!

66
Don't Throw Away Your Bottle Caps
Personal

After a weekend get together, a holiday party, or just a chill weekend with friends, do you ever just have a bucket filled with different bottle caps? Usually your first instinct would be to just toss them, but I have a better idea--why not create a cool decoration out of them?

Bottle caps come in many different styles, colors, and with a ton of different pictures painted on them. If you put them all together with a few simple steps, you might just end up with an unique sign for your wall.

Supplies Needed:

-A collection of bottle caps

-A hard surface (Used for flattening the bottle caps)

-Hammer

-Hot glue gun and hot glue

-Pliers (Makes flattening the bottle caps easier)

-A canvas/plaque of your choice

1. Use Pliers to Guide Edged of Bottle Cap Outward

Using the pliers to guide the edges of the cap outward makes it easier to hammer and form a nice, flat, bottle cap.

I've learned that skipping this step can often lead to cracking and folded edges when hammering.

2. Hammer Bottle Caps

Now, place the bottle cap onto the hard surface for hammering and simply hammer the cap until it is flat.

Keep collecting and flattening your bottle caps until you have a decent amount (Enough to create the desired pattern/design).

3. Time to Glue!

Once you have all of the bottle caps you want, it's time to glue!! (My Dad drinks the same beers, so I just asked around and told friends/family to save their craft bottle caps for me and ended with a unique and colorful collection!)

It's a good idea to have your surface in front of you and lay out the bottle caps beforehand to get a feel for what you want!

I like to sketch the shape I want with pencil onto the wooden plaque first, and lay out the bottle caps until it looks exactly how I want it!

Plug in your hot glue gun and let it warm! When its ready just apply the glue to the back of the bottle cap then press it onto the board. Hold it tight until the glue is dry to ensure it will be secure.

Repeat this process until you complete your picture, and there you have it! A finished product that is perfect for decoration in your dorm room, apartment, bar, etc!

This project may seem complicated, but its really simple! Anyone can do it! Add some flare to your walls with and eye-catching piece made of bottle caps that once would've been trash!