You Don't Get To Decide How People React To What You Do

Emotions don't have rules, so stop telling people how they can and cannot feel.

35

This seems so self-explanatory, but clearly, it isn't. I've seen a lot of posts lately about how Millennials and Gen-Y are too sensitive and how we can't take a joke. Well, guess what? YOU DON'T GET TO DECIDE HOW I REACT.

If I see something on Facebook that's sexist, even if it's a joke, I am allowed to be offended. I am allowed to defend my gender and defend myself. I am allowed to be angered at the constant oppression of women that is often masked by jokes and backhanded compliments and side comments. You do not get to tell me "oh, it's just a joke, relax." I will not relax. It is my responsibility to stand up for myself and other women. The intention of the comment is irrelevant, it's about what the message of it is and I am allowed to feel however I feel.

You also don't get to tell me how your actions affect me. If you are my friend and you take seven hours to respond to a text message that warrants a response, but I see that you've been posting on social media, I am allowed to be mad. I am allowed to be irritated. The same is true if you blow me off, even if it's for legitimate reasons. I am allowed to be upset. It may not be directed at you, but I am still allowed to be upset that you canceled on me.

Also, if you're my significant other and you say or do something that hurts my feelings or disappoints me, I am allowed to feel that way. If I go out of my way when you have had a bad day to make you feel better, but you ignore that- I am allowed to be upset.

I am allowed to be disappointed and to need some space. You don't get to tell me that I'm overreacting or that I'm being crazy just having emotions.

I am also allowed to feel emotions that aren't necessarily traditional in certain scenarios. I am allowed to be relieved when someone who's had cancer and been in pain for years on end, passes away. I am allowed to be happy that they are no longer suffering. I am also allowed to feel grief that they are gone. I am allowed to feel whatever I feel.

So, stop telling me and others to feel a certain way. I am allowed to have emotion. It is NORMAL to have emotions. It is NORMAL to feel things. I am allowed to feel whatever I feel.

Emotions do not have boundaries. Emotions don't have rules. So, stop trying to give people emotional rules to follow.