Why I Don't Regret Being in a Latina Sorority

I love them like my blood sisters.
517

We hear it all the time, all sorority girls do is drink, have sex and fail at school. For some that's the sad reality, but for many others we've have yet to add those things on to our bucket list. Instead we are strong independent women with goals and admirations. We know what we want, but also come together to help other women succeed in this male dominated world. Joining a Latina sorority has truly been one of the best decisions in my life, it's something unexplainable because like the saying goes, "from the outside looking in you can't understand it and from the inside looking out you can't explain it." Growing up surrounded by boys and being able to count my girlfriends on one hand, I never thought in a million years I would have been part of a sisterhood but these are the reasons I would never regret joining a Latina sorority.

Diversity

This world is full of negative racial wars. We see it in the media everyday, whether it be a police officer shooting another African American teen or a person killing innocent people at church. Organizations like ours strive to empower diversity and surpass the color of our skin. We believe a person is honestly beautiful by the size of their heart. In addition, we get to enrich our knowledge of other cultures. I'm not talking just about the food, cause trust me those Salvadorian pupusas are a must try, but also of their struggles and their traditions. It's a beautiful world when you discover the people who's lives surround you everyday.

Making a Difference

People can say what they want but we spend hundreds of hours serving the community. Not because it's required but it's truly from the kindness of our heart. The best moment is when you see someone smile because of the time you gave to make a difference, it's an unexplainable feeling. Plus it always becomes fun since your sisters are by your side. Like they say "who you hang out with says who you are."

Networking

You would not imagine the hundreds of people I've people I've meet because of my organization. Doors have open for me by sisters that wouldn't have opened otherwise. When a sister is in distress we lend each other a hand either by offering internships, job opportunity or even a place to stay. I could literally fly across the country tomorrow and have sisters welcome me. It might seem awk for someone but for us it's an automatic connection and it seems like we've known each other for years. Our organizations is the first step into putting your foot in the door of opportunities.

Purpose

Going to college is never easy, leaving everything you've known behind is scary but being in a Latina sorority it has given me purpose, to do good in school, to improve myself professionally and most important personally. After joining my organization I became a completely different person because I saw my purpose in life and I had a group of amazing women to support all my dreams. It sounds so cliche but in a Latina sorority I realize I was worth more than I ever gave myself credit for.

Sisterhood

Yes, we pay dues but we definitely don't pay for friends. My sisters mean so much for me because they show me true love and compassion. They have been there for my ugly cries and my brightest smile because we truly care about each other. This is the number one reason I would never regret joining a Latina sorority because if it wasn't for it, I wouldn't have ever crossed paths with these amazing women. My sisters mean so much to me not because they're my sorority sisters but because I love them like my blood sisters. Shout out to my all my lovely beautiful sisters of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin, Sorority, Inc. especially to my chapter sisters from Epsilon Kappa, can't wait to see where life takes me with you guys by my side.