Don't Quit On DC

Don't Quit On DC

This is not the downfall of DC Films

11
Don't Quit On DC
DC Comics

Superman. Batman. The Joker. Harley Quinn. The Flash. Aquaman. Wonder Woman. Some of the blockbuster names of the DC brand. While these characters are stunningly popular in their comics, they haven’t been given much praise on the big screen. Why?

With movies like “Batman Begins” and “Superman Returns” getting relatively high reviews from critics in the 2005 and 2006 years, and the “Dark Knight” receiving the highest praise of them all in 2008, there was a significant drop off in the films in 2011 with the release of “The Green Lantern” which received a whopping 34 percent from Rotten Tomatoes. However, why does one low-rated film define an entire brand name?

It seems that “The Green Lantern” was something of a cancer within the DC Universe. Films since released have received lower and lower ratings. There was a small sliver of hope when “The Dark Knight Rises” received high ratings during its release in 2012, but it was seen as a fluke when “Man of Steel” tanked in 2013. The next DC movie wasn’t released until earlier this year with “Batman v. Superman.” Hopes were extremely high for the film, hoping it would drag DC out of the hole it was so unnecessarily put into. Unfortunately for fans, it received the worst rating known with a 27 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

It was at this moment that fans started using the phrase “the next one will be better.” This was seen clearly with the looming release of “Suicide Squad.” The hype the film received was equivalent to the hype of the new “Harry Potter” book coming out. Fans were ecstatic for the film to come out in early August and once again, they were disappointed. Movie critics gave it the worst review in DC history with a 26 percent.

However, fans are at their antics again, saying “Wonder Woman” due to come out in 2017 will be the one to save the DC brand name. This is where I believe a foot needs to be put down.

Fans of the DC brand are falling into a social hole. Fans are basing their opinions on the films without even seeing them because critics are not giving it stellar reviews. The entire fan base needs to take a step back. They need to realize the truth: the brand is not tarnished because of a few bad films. Look at Marvel for instance. “The Fantastic Four” film released in 2015 received a 9 percent from Rotten Tomatoes. However, this didn’t stop Marvel from jumping right back up on the charts with films like “Ant-Man” or “Captain America: Civil War.”

DC fans shouldn’t give up hope so easily. And all fans shouldn’t let a movie critic decide if a movie is amazing or not. Always form your own opinion of a film because it may resonate with you in a way that it doesn’t with others. Despite the horrible reviews that “Suicide Squad” received, I personally thought the film was amazing. I think Jared Leto did an amazing portrayal of The Joker, finally giving fans a psychopath instead of an anarchist or an actual joke. Will Smith brought the perfect amount of comedy and seriousness to balance out his image. Margot Robbie played the greatest “good girl gone crazy bad” role I’ve seen in a long time. I have nothing but praise for “Suicide Squad” and hope that those who have seen the reviews decide to give the movie a chance before adopting another’s opinion.