Why You Don't Need A Valentine

Why You Don't Need A Valentine

​It’s February, and you know what that means! It’s Valentine’s Day again.

131
Why You Don't Need A Valentine
Flickr // jessicahtam

Valentine’s Day is just one of those things, either you love it or you hate it. I think it’s cute, but celebrating it is never something I’m super excited about. It’s just another day in a year where those who are single kind of feel a bit alone, but the good news is you don’t have to.

You don’t need a Valentine to have a great Valentine’s Day! You can go out with a group of your friends and just have a great night, as if it were just any other night. Go to your favorite bar, fraternity, coffee shop, restaurant, or whatever floats your boat, and just have a good time.

Decorate with some hearts, they’re cute. Make some cookies, they’ll taste good. Buy yourself flowers or chocolates. Flowers can brighten up your room and the chocolates come with all different fillings so that’s pretty great if you ask me. Watch a movie, watch the Bachelor, or watch the Olympics. The winter Olympics are going to be on over Valentine’s Day! Watch some really talented athletes ski, skate, and snowboard to bring the USA some nice hardware.

Valentine’s Day is a bit misconstrued in our lifestyle. Everyone thinks you can only have a good Valentine’s Day if you have a Valentine, but honestly let’s be real here. Valentine’s Day is just another day. It’s only a big deal if you make it one, and there’s no guarantee that you’ll have a good Valentine’s Day if you’re with someone anyways.

Make this Valentine’s Day about you. Pamper yourself. Buy a face mask, some nail polish, a bath bomb, whatever makes you feel relaxed. Read a book or a magazine, watch your favorite show, or do your favorite thing. Make a nice meal for yourself or order take out food, it doesn’t matter because it's whatever you want it to be. FaceTime a friend you haven’t seen in a while, text the person you miss the most, and just see what happens. Be bold and take risks because really what do you have to lose?

Valentine’s Day is what I call the ‘greeting card holiday’. I don’t think it’s nearly as special as the other holidays, but it's still fun to celebrate it and decorate and get all excited. The pink and red and glittery hearts everywhere may seem a bit much to some people, but it’s a nice change of pace from the hectic everyday life that we all seem to have. You don’t have to have a Valentine to love someone. You can celebrate your love for your family, your friends, your pets, or really anything. Who says that you have to be in love with a significant other for Valentine’s Day to really be something? There’s no rules for this, so make it your own.

When it really comes down to it, just love yourself this year for Valentine’s Day. Don’t let yourself get all worked up over someone who isn’t worth it just because you get so wrapped up in the holiday. Relax, destress from the start of spring semester, and focus on you.