You Don't Need Plans to Make Memories

You Don't Need Plans to Make Memories

No one remembers the nights where they got a lot of sleep.

8
You Don't Need Plans to Make Memories
Traci Lagenderfer

Looking back on this summer, and really all of my life, I have come to realize that some of the best nights are spent doing nothing. Call it my insomnia but two in the morning is my absolute favorite time of the day. Any time that I am surrounded by people at two in the morning, I consider it to be successful. I've noticed that the nights where I do not plan on doing anything turn out to be the most fun.

I can recall a time where my friend and I watched a concert online and were so angry by the concert that we stayed up so late complaining about it that we just went to breakfast. There have been other times where I have sat in my car talking to someone until four in the morning. The nights where people just randomly pick me up and we go for a drive blasting music and getting taco bell are some of my favorite nights because you do not have time to think about it. You are just having fun. These things may sound silly, but in reality they are truly fun.

There were a few times this past summer that I stayed up long enough to see my mom off to work in the morning simply because I was at a friend's house talking. These unplanned nights are the best in my opinion.

My point here is you don't always need to go somewhere and do something. Things do not always have to be planned out. Having plans are fun but every once in a while its important to realize you can have fun with your friends without going anywhere.

Some of my best memories have been spent star-gazing in a cul-de-sac or field and driving down an empty road with music, just talking to my friends. I live for nights where you think you are not going to do anything and you end up staying up all night doing just that, but it's fun.

I live for it being night time. I live for late-night food runs and dance parties. I love staying up so late the sun rises and the birds start chirping. Even if I have a class to go to at eight in the morning I would much rather sit with my friends at 3 in the morning than go to bed at ten at night and feel well-rested.

Don't make plans. Just be with people. Let things happen. Watch the sunset and stay to up to watch the sunrise. Spontaneously go swimming at three in the morning. Play a game, talk about life, watch a movie that you have seen so many times that you could recite it word for word. Go on a drive and blast music. Do things that require no planning, and go ahead and do them in the middle of the night.

After all, no one remembers the nights where they got a lot of sleep.