judging people based on social media
Social Media

Don't Be That Person Who Judges People By Their Social Media Persona

Not everyone you come across on Instagram, Snapchat, or Facebook acts the same in person.

11354
two girls drinking tea posing for selfie

Can we all agree that...

1. Not everyone you come across on Instagram, Snapchat, or Facebook acts the same in person.

2. Social media has created a platform to judge people by the way they look in the pictures they post.

3. A whole new forum of criticism was established by the creation of social media pages.

4. Judging someone based on their posts completely nullifies the point of a "first impression."

5. Social media blindsides people and deprives them of discovering the real, raw characteristics and personalities of the person they are judging.

Ask any of my family members and/or friends... I'm on social media almost everywhere I go. I've come to the conclusion that it's very unhealthy and probably the reason my eyesight is getting worse. I'm guilty of scrolling through my Instagram feed (for hours) checking out profile after profile, picture after picture. I'm far from judgmental but find myself silently forming opinions about people I don't know simply based on a picture. This is something I believe we aren't conscious of because everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and it's so innocent to do so. BUT! We need to be more aware of this because it's starting to develop into something much more than forming an opinion.

Social media platforms should be places where individuals can post whatever they want (within ethical/moral reason). It should be a place to express yourself freely without backlash. Nowadays teenagers are consumed with the thought that the pictures they post have to be absolutely perfect, so they have to edit the sh*t out of their pictures... that's honestly sad.

As someone who follows multiple celebrities and models both my age and older, I'm guilty of telling myself my posts have to look amazing otherwise I won't post. I also find myself asking, "why don't I look just as good as she does?" or "I wish I was skinnier and had dope outfits like her." As of today I stopped asking myself those questions because it's all general.

People will even judge models and celebrities so what's the point of wishing for things you don't have. THERE IS NO POINT! And about wanting more likes... just give up... likes are irrelevant. If you think your post is worth a million likes then that's all that matters (you're probably saying "wtf" right now but I'm serious, likes are irrelevant).

If you have enough time in your day to look at someone's post and say "she's fat," "she's too skinny," or "her nose is too big, why do her posts get more likes than mine?" and you don't even PERSONALLY know the person... you need to either get a job or find a hobby! They could currently be going through something traumatic or could have been affected by something in the past that you aren't aware of. And even if you DO know the person, take into account their feelings before you make fun of their posts.

In addition to thinking before you comment, think about what happens if you actually meet the person face to face who you were judging. What if they turn out to be completely different than what you thought? Would you feel bad? Would you even give them a chance to be themselves even though you have preconceived opinions?

Build people up, don't break them down! Stalking people's lives isn't cute. Get to know the person for who they are before you judge.