Why I Don't Have A Problem With Colin Kaepernick's Protest

My unpopular opinion.

57
https://upload.wikimedia.org/

If you know anything about me, you probably know that I hate discussing anything even remotely related to politics. However, there comes a point in time when I’ll read an article or watch a video and it upsets me to the point where I feel compelled to write about it. Two weeks ago my media literacy class watched a video from "The View" where the five women expressed their opinions on the controversy regarding Colin Kaepernick and his decision to kneel for the national anthem as a form of social protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XBLJdcZ_O4

Before I get into the content of this video, some background is necessary. During the first preseason game for the San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick, quarterback for the team, sat during the routine playing of the national anthem. Kaepernick explained that he decided to sit in protest of police brutality and other social prejudices he felt were being performed against minorities. When news of his actions got around, people immediately became furious. During the final preseason game he, along with another teammate, knelt during the national anthem. Still, people felt disgusted with the entire situation. As the regular NFL season started and weeks progressed, more players joined Kaepernick’s movement and soon this event made headlines across the United States. While many continued to complain, others decided to act. Some college and even little league sports teams followed Kaepernick’s lead and decided to kneel for the national anthem as well. Whether people hated or respected Kaepernick nobody could deny the fact that he brought attention to himself and started a conversation about his beliefs.

Now to the actual video. The five women who voiced their opinions were Candance Cameron Bure, Paula Faris, Joy Behar, Sara Haines, and Whoopi Goldberg. Their opinions are important because they reflect a majority of what many other people have expressed as to why they think Colin Kaepernick’s protest is wrong. Paula Faris explained that she felt Kaepernick protested the wrong way. I emphasize wrong because when it comes to protesting is there really a precedent as to what is right? I think most people can agree that in order for a protest to be respected it should at least be nonviolent, which Kaepernick’s is. His first amendment rights (as well as every other American's) say that he has freedom of speech and freedom to protest. He is exercising those rights to the best of his ability and yet people still say he is wrong. What more do you want him to do? In an interview he said that he sees injustice in America and wants his country to be aware of the problem and become better. He also donated money to various charitable organizations that represent his beliefs. He explained his reasoning behind protesting, he donated money to the cause, and he has shed light on this topic, all in a way that is completely legal and physically hurting nobody.

Candace Cameron Bure explained that she didn’t think Kaepernick was being a good teammate or leader because his views don’t represent the entirety of the team. She said that she felt him donating money was more helpful to the cause and was a better way to raise awareness because it is done aside from his actual job. While Kaepernick’s views might not be similar to other players on the team he’s setting an example for not only his teammates but other players throughout the league. It only takes one person to stand up for what they believe in for others to follow and do the same. If anything, Kaepernick is demonstrating his leadership skills in such a way that outweighs any play he could make on the field. Of course donating money to charities can help but not all problems are completely fixed by throwing millions at it. The issues that Kaepernick protests are socially constructed ideas that many have come to accept. For these problems to be resolved, people themselves need to change the way they think and act towards others as opposed to relying on money as the sole solution.

Sara Haines expressed the idea that Kaepernick’s form of protest was disrespectful towards those who serve or have died fighting in the military. This argument has probably been the most popular of opinions people have shared. I can understand how this can be upsetting to many. I don’t mean to take anything away from the people who fought for our rights ( Like Haines says, I could also never do what they have done for this country) but people who say this are being paradoxical. How does somebody say that men and women risked their lives for our rights and then completely disregard another person for using those rights? And it’s not as if Colin Kaepernick heard all the harsh criticism and decided to not act on it. After hearing statements that he seemed to be disrespecting those in the military he reached out and asked veterans what he could do to make his protests more respectful. They responded and said that if he instead knelt during the national anthem, his actions would be more considerate. He openly listened to them and in every game since that first preseason game he has knelt instead. Kaepernick never intended to offend anyone, he just wanted to raise awareness in the most effective way possible.

Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg were the only two women who did not see Kaepernick’s protesting as problematic. Behar explained that the issues Kaepernick believes in are difficult for many to truly understand and that it is necessary for people to perform controversial actions in order to draw attention. Whoopi Goldberg said that it’s disappointing to realize that people have been fighting the same issues for years without much change. In response to their comments, Faris said that instead of protesters simply saying what they oppose, they should offer solutions to the problem. While that suggestion sounds ideal it’s unrealistic. Goldberg counteracts this argument by saying that people have offered solutions but that the main problem is for people to comprehend that racism and social injustice are real issues. This video is a perfect example of this. Four out of the five women on this show are Caucasian and out of those four, three had some sort of problem with Kaepernick’s protests. These women are affluent celebrities who do not live stereotypical middle class lives. They have probably not had to deal with much racial discrimination due to the color of their skin. They do not understand how people who are oppressed feel because they are not part of the minority. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion but I just think that if they could experience how unfair minorities are treated they might see the situation a bit differently.

In a lot of ways, this whole controversy does not directly affect me. Like most of the women from "The View" I am Caucasian and there have been few instance where the color of my skin has hindered me. However this issue becomes personal to me because one of my best friends is from Pakistan. We’ve been friends for about three years now and he has been one of my biggest supporters since I told him I wanted to turn writing into a career. A couple years ago, we were hanging out late at night and were going to grab food before going home. I don’t remember how we got on the topic but we ended up talking about police officers. He half-jokingly said, “yeah you gotta be careful if I get pulled over with you in the car. Police will be suspicious because of my skin color.” We didn’t linger on the concept but it’s bothered me ever since that night. We live in a country where many if not all minorities are oppressed to some degree and the people who make up these these minorities are fully aware of it. It’s beyond depressing to think about somebody who is your best friend, somebody who you admire for how hard they work, somebody who has been nothing but nice to you your entire life and realize that no matter how good of a person they are they will still face various forms of discrimination for something as ridiculous as differing skin colors. And I know there are so many people who will disagree with everything I have mentioned, and that’s ok. Half of the battle is knowing in advance that one single person is going to change everybody’s opinions but, at least it’s something. Now more than ever it’s important for people to express their beliefs so we can come together and make forward progress. In writing this, I mean absolutely no disrespect to my country or anybody who disagrees with my feelings. Like Colin Kaepernick, I only want my country to become the greatest nation it can possibly be, because we as Americans have so much to be grateful for. But please, if there’s one thing we can all take away from this, it’s learn to empathize with others no matter how different they are from us. America was founded on the principle that our differences should not separate us and it’s time we acknowledge this.