Don't Go Watch 'Enter the Anime,' Let Me Give You A Better Answer

In short, the documentary was disappointing and does not provide a wide scope of what the anime culture really is, so, I'm happy to tell you my thoughts.

25
Photo by Andre Benz on Unsplash

When you get to know the genre of anime, you appreciate it as more than just an art form. It is a medium that can be used to convey people's emotions and how they can relate to one another as well as define themselves as unique individuals.

I got into this medium because I really liked the looks and the art that was portrayed. I always get chills down my spine when I see how well a scene is executed. Right then and there I KNOW the editors, artists and producers did their job right.

What brought on this blog of inspiration was my disappointment in the documentary of "Enter the Anime" on Netflix. I understand that the narrator was hired to answer the question, "what is anime?" but I felt that she did not dive deeper into all the genres and deeper meanings that this medium had to offer.

She showcased the anime shows that recently came onto Netflix, such as Baki, Castlevania, Aggresuko, and Ultraman. Obviously, she was not prepared for this research (she constantly questioned and said how far behind she was into understanding anime).

She even went to Japan but appeared to only be a tourist that indulged into the food of Japan and only asked generic questions of the animators on Netflix.

I find this documentary poorly executed and ironic because I never felt like I got the answer I was seeking from the narrator. I believe that anime is very expressive and not difficult to comprehend. This medium is ANIMATED and not difficult to understand and feel lost because the characters, plot and actions are clearly executed.

What you see is how you understand it and take it.

I understand that this medium is very diverse and has a lot to offer in the differing interest that people have. People may be into manga, anime films and TV shows, cosplaying or simply into the sex culture. Trust me, there is a dark history to the world of anime and the Kawaii culture barely scratches the surface of how people appreciate this art form in their daily lives.

As humans, we have our obsessions, disgust and pleasure over what may dictate our behaviors.

If you really want to dive deeper into the world of anime and really understand how people appreciate this art form, you have to look at what audiences the genre of a particular anime is gearing towards.

For instance, I have recently come to notice how many Shounen anime (a genre geared towards male audiences) is focusing in a generic and bland main character stuck in a virtual world and can't go back to his reality. Instead, he is powerful and is the ruler of that virtual world. On top of that, he is "stuck" with attractive females that give him their undying love.

OK, maybe I'm going overboard, but you get the main idea. I've seen enough genres and shows to know what the directors and producers are scheming at. I don't even have to watch the last episode to know how the whole show ends.

To know the world of anime, you should know what genres you are getting into. You don't necessarily need to know the history or politics of Japan, but what you should know is what you like to see and how you think the movie or show is conveying its message to the audience.

Anime is an expressive culture that I welcome all to see. It is an expressive art form and medium where people can relate to one another and become a part of different communities they never thought existed. Anime is a culture that creates inspiration and creative minds that think outside the box. With that inspiration, the artists have a story to tell and share it with the world.