For Those Who Don't Feel Like They're Doing Enough

For Those Who Never Feel Like They're Doing Enough

Being busy and constantly working is not always the best thing to do for our mental and emotional health.

132
Anne Hall

As Americans, we live in a society where there is constant pressure to succeed by society standards. We define our success and worth by whether we get the career promotion or if we're staying constantly busy. While I think doing what you love is important and we should strive to make a positive impact based on the world. Our legacies are critical. The problem is that we don't always value time for rest. To be our best selves, we need time for emotional and mental restoration.

There will always be a cause to support, volunteer help needed, and projects to complete at work. Those are all absolutely critical. Personally, with all the opportunities we have my struggle is that I never feel like I'm doing enough. I keep wanting to strive for perfection and get involved in several non-profit organizations or go on mission trips. I want to do those things to make a difference. I just have to remember if I'm not constantly busy with those sorts of projects, I don't have to feel guilty. I'm only one person.

I think it's all about finding balance.

Setting goals for yourself and working toward them is smart, and people should absolutely do that. We just have to remember that they don't define our worth. Being busy and constantly working is not always the best thing to do for our mental and emotional health.

I think prioritizing the way we treat others is a good place to start. I think if we take the time so our mental and emotional health is nurtured, then we can invest the effort we need to in other people. Wanting to treat people well is motivation for me to actually get involved so I can make a positive impact in society in a way that matters to me (such as volunteering on a tornado relief mission trip or serving on a non-profit board). Please know that the way you choose to invest your time matters. Find some causes you care about and places where you want to make a difference, but let people drive your motivation.

At the end of the day, what matters is people.

Relationships are everything, and they're one thing that lasts as long as you nurture them. After this life, we may value our successes and accomplishments, but what will matter is the people we touched and impacted. Based on that priority, what kind of legacy do you want to leave?