Do Not Fear

Do Not Fear

Finding comfort in a Higher Power.

59
Grace Bain

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

I was raised by a Southern Methodist family that placed a large emphasis on religion. Growing up, I believed in the stories of the Bible and honestly didn't even realize other religions than Christianity existed.

As I matured and became exposed to more of the world, however, my views and beliefs began to morph. I wasn't very into all the rules and exclusion that religion brought with it.

For me, it was the relationship with Jesus.

In church and at summer camps, it was consistently drilled into my brain that Jesus loved me and died on the cross for me. That's a pretty legit sacrifice for someone to make that I had never actually met in person. The idea was enticing.

As life progressed, my idea of God changed into the belief of a 'Higher Power' or even the Universe, itself. After thinking of God as an old white man on a throne in Heaven for so many years, I started to relate more so to a God without a specified gender or even appearance. I saw God as Love.

Religion tells us to turn to God at all times: both good and bad. However, when life gets busy with human stuff, it can be hard to set aside time to pray or read the Bible.

I have a Daily Bible Verse app on my phone, but I definitely don't check it every single morning. Today, however, I decided to.

And the verse could not be more fitting.

Life has been pretty wild lately, and college students nationwide are starting to prep for the summer.

It feels like there is a whirlwind of academics, socials, and health related stuff that is hitting me, and I have to find a way to manage it all on my own.

That is when I read this verse on my phone and realized maybe I am not on my own.

I don't know what you believe, nor do I judge you for it, but I definitely believe a loving Higher Power created us and wants the best for us.

Some things just fall into place way too perfectly for them to be random. Today, I read the exact words I needed to motivate me to push onward. You never know what a check in on your own self and beliefs could do for you, especially the next time you find yourself overwhelmed with that human stuff.