Don't Change Yourself For A Boy, Let The Boy Change You

What if you find yourself falling for someone without having to change who you are, but in the process, you become someone new?

278
Gracie Dougherty

They say you should never change yourself for a boy and I wholeheartedly believe that. When it comes to dating and relationships, you should always stick to who you are and be your true, authentic self. Don't change yourself to make someone, especially a boy, like you. Don't change yourself to become "relationship material" or more "dateable." You shouldn't have to change who you are to become who someone else wants you to be.

But, what if a boy changes you? What if you find yourself falling for someone without having to change who you are, but in the process, you become someone new? What if the boy you love helps you change into the person you've always wanted to be? What if the boy unveils the real you, who you are deep down?

There's nothing wrong with that, in fact, it's better than anything I could've ever imagined. I was a completely different person when I first met my boyfriend. In a sense, I was empty. I was unhappy and I filled my life with stupid, inadequate things in an attempt to fill the void. But when I met him, I felt something. I felt a sense of happiness that I hadn't felt in a while, the kind of happiness that you can only find from that one special person.

Over time, I felt that void fill with sufficient and perfect love, care, and happiness. It was everything that I needed, but never knew I wanted. I changed. And yes, deep down I wanted to change, but I never addressed it. I never thought I really needed to, despite knowing that it was what I really wanted. But that boy, the one I fell in love with, he helped me get there. He showed me what true joy and true love felt like. He taught me that I not only wanted change, but I also needed it and I deserved it.

He gave me the push I needed. He showed me a different life, one that was as perfect as can be. He showed me how to find happiness, whether it be with him, my family, my friends, or all of the above. He changed me into a better person, no doubt. I'm so thankful that I changed, and I really owe it to my boyfriend for pushing me to become a better, happier girl. I didn't push him away, I didn't block him out. I let him come into my life and my heart and change it all in the best way possible.

I didn't change for a boy. I didn't have to and I most certainly didn't want to. But, when I let that boy in, he changed me. And wow, am I glad he did. Don't change yourself for a boy, let the boy change you.