Don't Be Afraid To Go With A Random Roommate

Those strangers may become your new best friends.

442
Avery DePaola

Picture this, it is move-in day of freshman year. I am nervous but excited to embark on my journey in a completely new state at The Ohio State University where I know basically no one.

I'm moving into a strange place that will be my new home for nine months, but with complete strangers. I stand there at the entrance of my new dorm room wondering why I ever decided to go with random roommates.

But, as I sit here typing this, a sophomore in college I can honestly say that I met some of my best friends through this experience.

So to start out, yes I survived and anyone who goes with a random roommate will too. I didn't have much of an option for roommates as I came into OSU without knowing anyone but two other girls who graduated high school with me.

I decided to join the scholar's program at OSU where I was forced to live in the dreaded Morrill Tower. I was scared to death when I got the email from housing with the names of my future roommates. After much cyber-stalking and sifting through middle school facebook pictures I had some initial thoughts on what my future roommates would be like.

I lived in a 4 person room, but my 4 person room was a part of a suite with 6 other people. The day came for move-in day and I was so scared to finally meet the people I had seen in pictures and exchanged small talk in group text messages.

I won't lie the entire experience was awkward. So awkward. One of my suitemates Cam came up to me while I arrived to move in, introduced herself and gave me a huge hug. I will never forget that moment as a little part of me was put at ease and I knew everything was going to be okay.

I remember one of the first nights we were there 3 of my other suitemates and I decorated our common room and that was just the beginning of our friendship.

I also won't lie that yes the semester was very rocky with one of my roommates in my 4 person room for reasons I won't divulge at this time. She moved out and I was lucky enough to move into an open spot in one of the two-person rooms in my same suite with the same girl I live with this year.

Here I am a year later, living with 4 of the same people I lived with last year. Those girls who I decorated the common room with one of the first nights are now some of my best friends. If I would have gone with a roommate I knew last year I probably wouldn't have found the group of friends I have come to love very dearly.

They make everyday fun and I couldn't imagine doing college without them. I'm so excited to live with 3 of my roommates next year as well as we found an apartment off campus. I know some people prefer to move into college knowing their roommate and that's okay, but also don't be afraid to go randomly either.

You may run into some bad roommates along the way, but you also might run into some gems, like mine. It is still crazy to me how 7 scared random freshmen from different backgrounds can become friends, but I'm so glad we did. So don't be afraid to take the plunge with a random roommate in college.