Don’t Be Afraid To Work Towards Even Your Biggest Dreams, Seriously

Too often many of us throw away amazing ideas, limiting our dreams because they seem unreachable or "unrealistic."

706
Unsplash / Pablo Heimplatz

It is easy for people to lose sight of their very own goals as they progress through life. Instead of choosing to study business, financing or whatever it is you want, so that you can start up that coffee shop or personal business you always dreamed of, you end up studying journalism because you think it’d be easier and less stressful. Or instead of going to the library and researching how to build computers so that you can design that one-of-a-kind PC you always imagined, you tell yourself that there is no point in "wasting time" with that because you’ll never figure it out. Many of us trade in what would really make us happy for "more practical" alternatives. We ditch the greater, more long-term goals for smaller ones that we think will be less difficult.

Though it is different for everyone, ask yourself: "How often do I actually hear the words 'You can do it. You got this. Don’t give up?'"

Your parents and close friends may tell you this at select times, but how often do you hear such words in your day-to-day life? Some people are lucky enough to have constant support and someone else who keeps them motivated. This is to those who don’t have that someone or even to those who do but still find themselves letting their aspirations go because they don’t think they can finish walking the long path to success.

Every single day, we are all surrounded by both subliminal and obvious messages that tell each of us what we should be and we better be according to society’s terms. Be it expected roles based off of gender, race or family background there are predetermined expectations imposed on people by the very society they grow up in. We are surrounded by people who judge the outward appearance with no interest in the qualities that may be hidden beneath the skin and in people’s hearts. We are surrounded, oh so surrounded, by the media and its horribly confused and twisted messages and stereotypes.

Everyone wants to be something they are not, own something they do not have or copy the goals that someone else is trying to achieve. Most people want (and — for the most part — are used to) immediate gratification. So, when something comes up, like a weight loss goal or attempt at getting a degree, it is harder to stick it through for the long ride.

Being a student is not easy. Being a teenager or young adult is not easy. Being an employee is not easy. Life itself is not easy, so why do so many of us desperately continue to search for the easy way out of everything?This is why motivation and belief in one’s self is so important.

We live in a world where it is considered silly or even cliché to reach for the aspirations we are truly passionate about because the amount of effort needed seems impossible. It is only impossible if you don’t actually want to accomplish it and if you are too unmotivated to even give it a try. It is OK to have your own personal dreams. You don’t have to give them up because someone said, "That’s not for you" or because it will take a long time to fulfill because great things require dedication. Turn each roadblock you face (and you will encounter many) into an opportunity — into something more than bad feelings or stress.

Turn the moments of doubt and failures into the very thing that’s teaching you how to try harder and preserver for longer. Do it for yourself. For the you five or 10 years from now. You’ll be glad you didn’t let society take away your dreams.