I'm Tired Of Not Doing Anything
Politics

I'm Tired Of Not Doing Anything

We’re surrounded by news of terrible things happening both close by, and far away. Even if we’re not okay with it, what can we do about it?

41
I'm Tired Of Not Doing Anything
PATRICK TOMBOLA/LAIF/REDUX

Unless you live under a rock, you’ve seen it:

The videos of children being pulled from the rubble

Children covered in blood, their mothers, also covered, rocking them

The mothers crying out when they identify the corpse of their loved one

The wrecked buildings, scenes straight out of an apocalyptic movie

The men being burned alive by ISIS in front of their families

The woman yelling racial slurs at the mother checking out in front of her

The police officer killing the innocent

The videos of the man delivering toys to Aleppo

The White Helmets rescuing innocent lives

The women taking baby carriers to Syrian refugees

The police officer tying the tie of a high schooler headed to a presentation

The water filters delivering water to thousands

And yet I am sitting here, commenting on the scary videos, expressing my worries, and sharing the happy videos, content with seeing others doing good work amidst the war.

But I’m not content. I’m not content because as much good as some are doing, those some are not enough. At this point in time, I’m not sure there will ever be enough, but there at least has to be more. Too many of us are seeing, processing, then scrolling right by. I know I am not alone in this non-contentedness because I’ve heard others, I’ve read their articles. But even if we’re not content, what can we do?

It feels like a battle that’s too far away.

It feels like a battle that’s too close, but too big.

It feels like I’m just a college student who needs to study for four years before they can do something.

It feels like others will do it for me, like I’m not the one who's called to make that difference.

It feels like I want to be a teacher, and that a classroom is the only place I’m going to make a difference.

How can I study at a college that supports my faith, supports me as a person, one that I feel safe at, while others are struggling to survive or feel threatened in everyday life?

I don’t have the answer, I don’t think I’ll ever find the exact answer I’m looking for.

But if you know of ways that US college students can make a difference in this racism, Aleppo, and world fight, please let me know.

Because I’m not content and I don’t want to be

Because I know there’s a way I can make a difference

Because I know He has a plan for me to make a difference

But right now, I can’t see it.

So let me know.

Here are the things I know we can do here, and now:

1. Pray

Pray for the innocent affected, pray for those fighting the fight, pray for those who wake up scared everyday.

2. Educate yourself

If you don’t even know where to start, start with educating yourself on the issue. Find out the history behind it, what’s currently happening, and what is being done to combat it.

3. Donate

Find a group you trust (www.charitynavigator.com is a great resouce) and donate what you can to help those who are in the field. Make sure the money is going to those who really need it, not just the company or the governments.

4. Think before you act

Don’t just jump on a plane to get in the field to make a difference. Think about the people who are already there, the people who have the connections, and who know what the locals need most. If you do want to get in the field and feel called to that, find an organization you can join and partner with them to help those who really need it. Even those with the best intentions can be hurtful if they don't know what they're doing.