A Response to "Donald Trump Is President, Get Over It"

Hold up, not so fast.

456
Business Insider

To Ms. Hodby (and anyone who agrees with her thinking),

In your article, Donald Trump Is President, Get Over It, you mention the same argument that has been used since the night of November 8. "Get over it!!" "He is your President — ha ha ha!!!"

Please, listen.

I agree wholeheartedly that we all need to come together, we are one people. Democrats and Republicans can live in unison without discourse 24/7. It is possible despite what many on the left AND on the right may think. But, I find it ironic that you like to mention the election results and not where the resistance actually began — the campaign trail.

I don't feel the need to restate the same Donald Trump quotes that were made from 2015 until present-day, for I am positive you've heard them as many times as I. And I can only hope that they make you cringe as much as they made me, since what Donald Trump has spewed from his mouth is pure vulgarity, divisiveness and quite frankly, trash.

Alas, this clearly did not bother the American people enough for they did in fact elect President Trump, as you mentioned time and time again (ha ha, get over it!!! Ha ha, fools!!). I respect the results of the election. What happened, happened. I respect the office Donald Trump holds. I respect the Presidency. I find it hard to respect Donald Trump — which I expect would be your same position had Hillary Clinton assumed office in January instead.

But put the election aside. Let's talk January 20 and onward. From the immigration ban, to the rejection of science, and — dare I say it, watch out it may trigger you — Russia's undeniable interference in our election to benefit Trump himself. All of this, and you expect the American people to "get over it?" I cannot even imagine the reaction if Hillary Clinton even dared to think about committing any of these actions, let alone if evidence was found that a foreign power tried to help her win the election.

Your argument is rich, considering our President has made no effort whatsoever to unite our country. He plays the blame game 24/7. And if someone dares to call him out on his nonsense or hold him accountable, they're censored (CNN) or fired (hello, James Comey). I actually laughed when I read, "you can't change the facts." I'm sure the inventor of alternative facts, Kellyanne Conway would passionately disagree, as would Sean Spicer, and as would the President.

Do some Democrats take things to the extreme? Absolutely. But Donald Trump has done nothing to unify this country and you cannot expect the majority of the American people to just sit back after such a decisive election and take what is being thrown at them when most of the President's actions have gone against basic morals and American principles.

I'd also like to note that the Democrats' response is not against Trump supporters or Republicans (those who attack fellow Americans for who they voted for are simply wrong and misguided), it's solely against Donald Trump. Not against the Presidency, not against our country. It is against Donald Trump. Trump supporters and fellow Republicans alike are respectable individuals who simply have a different vision or have different needs than Democrats, and the ability to have that difference is the beauty of America. Donald Trump, however, is a poor excuse for a man and his actions both as a private citizen and as President support that claim.

So please, do not take personal offense when you see people disrespecting the man I assume you either supported and/or voted for, because the resistance is not an attack on you. It's not an attack on your party. It is against a man who does not deserve the title of the President. You can argue that Hillary Clinton didn't deserve it either — that's fair. But the uproar you see now has more to do with the actions within the first 100 days, whereas the lingering bitterness of the 2016 election just adds fuel to the fire. Democrats deserve a better President. Republicans deserve a better President. America deserves a better President. You deserve a better President.

I find it hard to believe that even Republicans or Trump Supporters see Trump as the end-all-be-all when there are such respectable men and women who share the same ideology (both in Washington and outsiders alike), that would be much more fit for the Oval Office than the man currently holding it right now.

The resistance, whose members you demean to "fools," are looking ahead. 2018, 2020, and beyond. You're more than welcome to join the movement that wants the betterment of our country, for it's not a movement against you or your fellow Trump supporters or Republicans, it's a movement against a sad, egocentric man that does not deserve to lead the American people.

So no, no one should "get over it." In fact, maybe you should think about becoming outraged as well. Maybe once all Americans see what a sad excuse of a leader we have right now, then we'll become united. You don't need to regret your support of Trump or your vote for him; the alternative did not share your beliefs and you supported a man that did. But that doesn't mean you need to be blind to the atrocity that is the Trump Presidency.

So please, join the resistance. Even if we don't share the same ideology, at least we can find common ground in our morals and values.

Much love,

A fellow American who wants the same unification as you.