Doing The Right Thing Is Tiring

Doing The Right Thing Is Tiring

The world and the Bible are giving us conflicting signals again. What is the solution?
172

I did not plan to write an article this early in the week, and I certainly did not plan to write an article about this. But this morning while I was doing my devotions, I was studying 2 Thessalonians and God grabbed a hold of my heart. The verse that really stuck out to me was number 13 in chapter 3 where it says, "And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right." Now that is some powerful stuff. How often do we get tired of doing the right thing all the time? Of being labeled the good one or the innocent one? I know I get tired of it, and if you are saying to yourself right now that you have never gotten tired of, you are probably lying.

An example that just came to me has come through my experience of writing for The Odyssey. When I write, I really enjoy expressing what it is in my heart and trying to inspire others through what has inspired me. Most of the time, what has inspired me is something I have read through studying God's word. But as I began to write, I noticed that not as many people were viewing my articles when it had to do with God. This made me very discouraged and I began to try writing about things I thought other people would enjoy to get my views up. With having a goal of minoring in journalism, I didn't want people to look at my page and get a bad impression of my writing because my views were low. But as I did this, I began to realize I had come to hate writing. I didn't even post an article last week because of this roadblock I had come to. My heart was no longer in it, which lead me discover that views weren't worth extinguishing my fire and passion for writing.

I have been given this opportunity to write for The Odyssey for one purpose only; to honor God. Really, honoring God is the only purpose any of us have in life. We are here on this earth strictly for that reason. So why in the world should I care if people don't seem to enjoy my articles as much when I write for the Lord? That's right, I shouldn't. This is a fantastic ministry opportunity, and it honestly doesn't even matter how many people I'm reaching because inspiring 20 people is so much better than inspiring none.

It is so easy to get tired of doing what is right, though. Let's be real here, it seems like most of the time the people who take the easy way out, cheat, lie, etc. always get what they want and the good people of this world are left in the dirt. What I have realized about this is that they are reaping earthly benefits (AKA: the benefits that don't matter at all). While these people are getting what they want and judging or making fun of us for doing the right thing, we are busy pleasing the Lord. We may not reap immediate benefits from doing the right thing, but believe me, we will eventually get the absolute best reward of all. In God's kingdom, every single good act counts beyond measure. I know it is hard, but don't be discouraged. You can't go wrong doing the right thing.