Why Dogs Are Better Than Cats (Or Is It The Other Way Around?)

A brief opinion on the companionship quality of both cats and dogs.

58
Penn State Instructor Posts

Pets. Most everyone loves them, and would be lying if they’d never dreamed of owning one. They never fail to offer love and affection—for the most part. Let’s start with dogs. Now I’m partially biased to dogs, because I simply think they make better companions. I mean you don’t see therapy cats going into hospitals very often, or Seeing Eye cats, or anything like that. But I digress. From personal experience, dogs are just better all around. They are always at the door to greet you when you arrive home, from wherever you are, wagging their tails and very nearly smiling. They love cuddling and giving you kisses. Even better, you can train them to fetch the paper for you, or rarely, a cold drink from the fridge. They never cease to please, and are one of the things I miss the most about being away at school. Individuals can form unbreakable bonds with dogs, and they know when we’re feeling sad or upset, happy or excited. Studies have shown that dogs will offer their owners a loving gaze, releasing the same hormone that bonds mothers and infants—oxytocin. If one offers this stare back to their canine companion, you’ll release oxytocin too, developing a bond like few others. You can read the article here.

Another thought as to why people love dogs more than cats, is perhaps because they are easier to control. I’ve never met a cat that answers to anyone but itself, which I find quite frustrating. Perhaps that speaks to my character. Either way, cats are almost always doing their own thing. They come and go as they please. Sure, they might be down for the occasional cuddle, or might end up near the door when you come home, but it never seems deliberate. Plus, they scratch you! Although, I’m a sucker for cats when they start purring. It’s definitely adorable.

Overall, I can see both sides to owning either a cat or a dog. Being an active and outdoors loving person, I would much rather have a dog to take with me on adventures. They’re more fit for that purpose. Cats are great too, though. They won’t bother you for attention persistently, and will also show a cuddly and loving side. What I love most about owning a pet is the potential to form a bond with an animal. The feud between cat and dog lovers will never end, but I’ll close with an interesting study conducted last February. The study looked at ten dogs and ten cats at two periods after a playtime session with their owners. Oxytocin swabs were taken for both. Cats were found to increase oxytocin levels by 12%, and dogs increased oxytocin levels by a whopping 57.2%. This high percentage rivals the 40-60% increase in humans when interacting with someone we love. Thus, it appears dogs love their humans more than cats do. /Take that as you will. Either way, having a pet is certainly a blessing.