Why Dogs Really Are A 'Man's Best Friend'

In loving memory of a very good "best friend."

52
adamcroh

I have realized a trend in my behavior. Every time that I go somewhere there is a dog, I am stuck to it like a magnet. Even when I simply pass a dog on the street, I have a need to stop and pet it. It's crazy that another species can interact so well with humans, and that we can love each other so much without even being able to communicate. It is like an invisible bond of some sort between the two species that is unbreakable.

Pretty much everyone on the face of the Earth has heard the saying, “a dog is a man’s best friend.” I, for one, have never heard anyone even contemplate the validity of the statement because everyone agrees that it is truer than true. But why, exactly, is a dog a “man’s best friend.”

1. They are overwhelmingly happy to see you.

Whether you have been gone for weeks or have just stepped out to get the mail, when your foot enters the door there is someone waiting for you. They are excited to have you around, even when you’ve only been gone for a split second.

2. They are your workout motivation.

OK, so maybe they don’t convince you to go to the gym every day, but dogs need walking and they rely on you to do it. They need to get outside and run around and play, and who better to do this with than their best friend (that’s you, by the way).

3. They know when something is wrong.

I don’t know how they do it, but dogs can sense when something is up with you. Whether you’re angry or sad or stressed, a dog can pick up on it and rushes to your side. It’s kind of like spidey-senses, but for dogs.

4. They are cuddle-bugs.

OK, so this kind of varies from dog to dog, but for the most part dogs don’t really shy away when you sit with them or hug them. Whenever you just need a good hug, your dog is right there.

5. They make you laugh.

Dogs are clumsy sometimes. They bump into things, they stumble, they fall, they make weird noises, they slide on hardwood floors. But it’s precious and hilarious so you can’t do anything but laugh.

6. They are adorable.

The head tilt. Need I say more?

7. They clean up the floor.

Drop food? No problem! You can count on your dog to be right there to swoop in and clean up any scraps you drop! Who needs maid service anyway…

8. They stick with you no matter what.

Wherever you go, whatever you do, your dog will want to be with you. It doesn’t matter when. Dogs will follow you to the door and your car in hopes of tagging along with you. They want you by their side just as much as you want them.

These are just a few examples of why dogs truly are a man's best friend. There is no breaking the bond between a man and a dog, so don't even try. The bond is undeniable and unbreakable and that's exactly how it should be.