Dogs Need Our Love Too

Dogs Need Our Love Too

Over 3 million dogs are homeless in the United States right now, and it is time we do something to help man's best--they didn't get that title for nothing, after all!

17
Dogs Need Our Love Too
Dpaige27

Pulling in my driveway on another rainy day, I finally hear the first roar of thunder as I put my car in park. I don’t waste another second as I run inside, not surprised either when my dog doesn’t come to greet me at the door; instead, I go right to me room and find Callie, my adoring husky, laying in the corner. It’s amazing how she somehow managed to not only find her favorite blanket, but has also cocooned herself in it, forming a tiny blue ball with a her big head poking out.

She’s shaking and I lay down beside her. She licks my hand, and I think she is telling me, Thank you.

I call her a chicken without hesitation when she scampers away away from our measly cat, but I would never mock her in this state. She has every right to be afraid during thunderstorms, fireworks shows, or when the neighbors occasionally play turn their bass up too high on particular songs. I’m only thankful to be home in time to calm my big baby down.

My family adopted Callie when she was 3 months old, almost ten years ago now. My mom protested about getting a puppy and we had already been looking at several older dogs in shelters when my dad came home with this hyper puppy.

According to the ASPCA, 260,000 dogs fall victim to animal cruelty every year, and Callie unfortunately fed into that statistic. She was rescued from a farm in Kentucky where hundreds of dogs were left to run freely for months before the farmer grew tired of it and began shooting them. Callie wasn’t the only dog rescued there, but I imagine the pain she felt watching dogs she grew up with die while she ran for her life.

She was very cautious around any human when we first took her in. Years ago, she never would have let me hold her in comfort because she always needed an escape route planned—hugs were almost traumatizing. She has grown to trust me over time, but I never felt unsafe around her.

Dogs have been proven in multiple scientific studies to make humans feel happier overall. To many, dogs are the reason to wake up in the morning, something to look forward to seeing at home, and a purpose in life. For anyone battling a mental disorder like depression, the responsibility of caring for a dog—or even a cat—can help someone feel needed. They teach us to love, and will always love us unconditionally without having to do anything special.

They also provide relief to many, being the furriest home-security systems around. Dogs can make you feel safe, protecting your house from any intruders—and sometimes the mailman, because hey, you never know. Unfortunately, we take them for granted and probably don’t do enough for man’s best friend.

6.5 million cats and dogs are stuck in shelters every year. Due to this overcrowding, shelters are forced to euthanize over 1.5 million of them because they can’t afford to house every one of them. Like Callie, these dogs started their lives unloved, unappreciated, and alone. If given a little love and a roof over their head, they will easily become a part of your family you never want to lose.

We need to do everything we can for these animals. A good start is to actually adopt a dog, not purchase them through breeders that take advantage of demand to gain profit. Local shelters are great places to look for your new furry friend, but if your home needs a more specific breed (maybe a hypoallergenic dog for your allergies), you can look on sites like www.petfinder.com.

If your mom says you absolutely cannot bring another dog into your house, you still have options; first, you can show her this article in hopes of changing her mind. If it doesn’t work, you can share this on Facebook so that maybe other people can be inspired to adopt a dog. You can also follow your local shelters on Facebook and share pictures of dogs that need homes; this is one of the greatest ways for shelters to get the word out about their dogs in need of homes, but they always need people to share the posts. Besides, who doesn’t like looking at cute pictures of puppies in all shapes and sizes?

You can also make donations to help support the financial burden shelters struggle with by donating directly to your local shelters or through the ASPCA. My new favorite company I have come across is www.iheartdogs.com because I can purchase cute T-shirts like the one below, and feed 7 homeless dogs in the process. Many companies donate their profits on similar items to shelters, but this one has a lot of cute stuff—and face it, you don’t want to do the research, so just follow the link I provided you with!

You can also contact your local shelters to volunteer. If you have enough free time, or you have children with a passion for animals, this is a great way to give back. The jobs might not always be the most fun, but some allow you to take their dogs in walks throughout their cities in “Adopt Me” shirts, where you can encourage others to adopt the dog. There are so many things you can do, and this is the perfect time to start if you haven’t already. Dogs will always love you unconditionally, and it’s time we start showing them some love right back!