Dogs Have A Way About Them

Dogs Have A Way About Them

We love dogs for their quirky behaviors and for their undying loyalty to us.

3
Dogs Have A Way About Them

Most people would agree that there are many things in this world that make them happy, and then there are those things that wouldn’t quite make the list. Some find pleasure in their job or in outdoor activities, in traveling, in binge watching their favorite shows, or perhaps in painting. Many people would also say that their happiness is rooted in the people they surround themselves with. Whether it be immediate family members, cousins, good friends, or even new acquaintances, being with the people you know and care about is often cause to be happy in your life.

For others though, the company of other people is not the only thing that brings about the best in them.

Dogs have come to garner the reputation of “man’s best friend,” and for many, dogs embody just that. Dogs, unlike people, are silent companions that can lift our spirits in minutes. Dogs offer their undying support at all times. Dogs are there for us after a long hard day at work, during an illness that consumes us, or in times of tragedy like after the loss of a family member.

Simply put, dogs are there for us just like we are there for them.

Similar to forming relationships with other people, we too get to know our dogs over the course of their lifetime. From the time they are puppies until they are full grown and gray in the face, we realize the tendencies of our dogs, either good or bad, and learn to love every part of them. If you’re a dog lover and fortunate enough to have one of your own or one in your family, you can attest to this.

There are things that you know about this pup that outsiders simply wouldn’t know until they spent ample time with him or her. You revel in the fact that you know this dog through and through. You’re aware of the quirky little things that the dog resorts to time and time again, and you enjoy witnessing them and showing them off to others.

For instance, your dog may find comfort in resting his or her head in the tiny space between railing rungs or on the foot of the chair in the kitchen, or cuddle up on the cold tile floor of the foyer in your house rather than on the big comfy couch that you’ve invited them to lie on. Or perhaps they have a certain obsession with licking your feet. Though odd, you can totally admit that the daily foot messages aren’t the worst thing. These are just a few of the strange behaviors we seem to find humorous in our dogs, but these aren’t even the weirdest of behaviors that dogs have been guilty of.

Dog owners like to believe that their dog is indeed equipped with quirky traits like the ones aforementioned and therefore different than the other golden retrievers or Labrador retrievers on the block, for it’s this uniqueness that we find so important and therefore deserving of our love.

Although we adore the differences between our dog and that of our friends and neighbors, we can all agree that the shared traits are just as lovable as the others.

First, we must admit that the touch of a dog’s cold nose doesn’t vary much from dog to dog, but it is a weird yet comforting sensation when their nose brushes against our hand. The subtle wetness of their soft tongue (or maybe not so soft) is too a feeling we embrace. Dog lovers enjoy the facial mauling of dogs, leaving behind the smell of their slobber. Arguably the most adored thing about dogs is their coat. Whether fluffy like a Bernice Mountain dog or short haired like a Pitbull, we are at peace when snuggled up close to their fur. Yet another thing that we find attractive about our dogs is their sweet sounding bark (although owners of a Pomeranian may not use such adjectives). Even though the loudness and frequency of the barks may drive you crazy at times, you work to tame it and learn to appreciate it, for it’s really the only means of protection that they may employ on a regular basis.

Another behavior that makes us fall even more in love with our dogs is the look that they give us with this sense of longing in their eyes. These “puppy dog eyes” are a dog owner’s Achilles heel. Even after your dog chewed up your favorite shirt and relieved him or herself on the brand new carpet, one look into their eyes and the anger seems to vanish. As if this weren’t enough to earn your forgiveness, dogs often take it a step further and nudge at your arm so as to be pet. For dogs, this is a reassurance that we still love them, and without hesitation, we give in, once again showing that our love too, is unwavering.

We find happiness in being able to give our love to dogs, for we know that they will reciprocate. No matter the role they assume in our lives — child, sibling, or best friend. They fill a void that gives us a happiness that we’d otherwise be without. Dogs aren’t simply animals that live to eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom. They too live for companionship and we give them that when we allow them into our families.