Does It Matter What Type Of Shoe You Wear To Workout?

Most people realize that there are a variety of different athletic footwear available, but many ignore them when they are choosing workout gear for themselves. Choosing your athletic footwear should depend on the type of activity you are participating in and not for any aesthetic reason. Here's why.

1329

Athletic Footwear Is Made For The Specific Needs Of Different Activities

If you look at the variety of shoes available at a shoe store, each one was designed with a specific purpose in mind. Nobull shoes are designed with the wider variety of movements that are involved in cross training, whereas basketball shoes like Air Jordans are designed to give you better lift and make lateral movement much easier. The differences between them are not merely for appearance sake, but serve a functional purpose.

Protection From Injury

Not only is your athletic footwear meant to enhance your performance for different activities, but they are also designed to protect you from the various injuries associated with participating in a certain activity. The injuries that runners are more likely to get will be significantly different from those that weight lifters do. Sports that involve the same type of physical activities are likely to result in similar injuries. This is why you can use the same shoes for running or sprinting, but not the same shoes for bowling and soccer. However, note that there is some overlap between the various types of athletic footwear.

Going Barefoot

There is a growing trend of people attempting to take part in sporting activity with no shoes at all. This may be beneficial in some cases like gymnastics, where more flexibility is required. However, studies have shown that (at least in the beginning) going barefoot is likely to cause injuries when participating in any other type of serious sporting activity. For example, if you were to go running without any type of footwear for the first time, it may be a lot easier for you to twist your ankles. However, people who are accustomed to going barefoot may not have this problem because the anatomy of their feet is more acclimated to barefoot movement than moving with shoes.

How To Choose Athletic Footwear?

If you feel overwhelmed when you walk into a shoe store; don't worry, you're not alone. The best thing you can do in this case is to ask for help from the salesperson in the store. However, you won't have this privilege when shopping online. In that case, it's best to read the description and reviews thoroughly before committing to a purchase. There is a lot of information provided on most online sales websites that can help you make a more informed decision. Keep in mind that what works for someone else does not necessarily mean it will work for you—so try to take everything you read online with a grain of salt.

In the end, you should choose athletic footwear that serves you best. This means that it should enhance your performance and protect your from injuries that are specific to your activities.