Tips When Visiting Amsterdam

Amsterdam: The Do's And Don'ts Of Netherlands’ Capital

All you need to know about the real city that never sleeps.

77

Amsterdam. There is no city on earth quite like it. Known for its beautiful architecture, amazing food, and many sites to see, you will never get bored! There are so many things that you don't know or expect before going to this city. Below are some DO's and DON'Ts so you can have the best experience while visiting Amsterdam.

DO:

PLAN PLAN PLAN. Make sure you have at least one thing planned for each day you're there. Search for food places ahead of time to make sure you get a little taste of all the food they have. Have a waffle for dessert after every meal. (I definitely didn't do this. Haha.) I suggest "Crepes and Waffles" in the Red Light District; it was my favorite! Other plans include visiting attractions as Amsterdam has a lot to offer! Whether that be a canal boat ride, visiting many museums, the infamous coffee shops, or simply riding a bike around the park.

DON'T:

Plan last minute. For the most part, everywhere you go you have to pay for something. If you are looking for a free alternative to hang, check out all the beautiful parks Amsterdam has! Vondel Park was great as it had its own canals and small bridges.

DO:

Check out the red light district. This is one of the most infamous areas in Amsterdam. It is unlike anything I have ever experienced. It is a very heavily populated tourist area. There are people from all over the world, all in their own world. It's like an adult Disney World. From the sex shops and coffee shops, your experience will definitely not be a dull one.

DON'T:

Do NOT I repeat do NOT stay in the Red Light District. Made this mistake myself. The crazies definitely come out at night. I will just leave it at that.

DO:

Walk everywhere. This is the best way to explore the city. There really is no need for public transport when everything is relatively a fifteen to 20-minute walk. OR ride a bike. This is the main form of transportation in Amsterdam.

DON'T:

Ride bikes in the street. Considering almost everyone rides bikes there, they are professionals. It's like Tour De France all day, every day. Oh, and they will run you over whilst yelling Dutch at you. Either way, it's best to avoid this altogether. Just remember to look both ways before you cross the street.

DO:

Come with a light-hearted attitude. People from different countries have different social norms. They will act differently than you and there is nothing wrong with that. Come with an open mind; everything is a learning experience depending on your perspective.

DON'T:

Be negative. If you choose to be negative instead of rolling with the punches you will be disappointed. This goes for life in general; staying positive gives you the optimal results in all experiences.

Amsterdam is a relatively slow-paced city. People take their time, no one's in a hurry, and it's important to just relax and enjoy the ride. With any traveling, it's best to have no expectation and be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. If you're reading this and plan on traveling there soon, I hope you enjoy the city that never sleeps!