We NEED To Start Respecting The People Around Us

Do Better!

40
https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/08/21/19/00/alone-2666433_1280.jpg
graehawk

Have you ever felt violated for something about yourself that you can't control? Mistreated? Disrespected? Judged?

I'll assume the answer is yes. I mean, in today's society it seems if you don't fit a specific mold you are lesser. People say whatever they want to you, disregarding how it will make you feel, and how it will change the way you see yourself. Some people see themselves has entitlement over you, because you are a little different than what they expect from you. But why do we have to live up to this imaginary expectations? Who does that benefit?

Just last weekend, I had someone cross the line when speaking to me. They asked me a personal question that made me feel so uncomfortable. It felt like I could confide in him, and when he used that against me, it felt like I was in the wrong for ever talking to him about it in the first place. Why did he think he had a right to ask me a question like that? I felt disrespected, violated, and just gross. It ruined my whole day, just from one direct message.

I replied because I wanted to stand up for myself. I told him I don't think it's okay to ask someone a question like that. He blamed it on being intoxicated. That is NO excuse for treating someone with disrespect. It's hard to people to think that their words can affect someone, they're only acting upon their feeling of entitlement in that moment.

The sad thing is, this happens to so many people. Almost every woman I know has felt uncomfortable by a man's presence. Almost every person of color I know has felt disrespected by a white person. Yet, our world continues on this way. With questionable government, there seems to be nowhere to turn. That is why we must be there for each other.

White people, do better.

Men, do better.

Anyone who has disrespected someone, do better!

It is too much work already in life to have to find out what makes you comfortable and happy, so why are people around us making that harder?

Please, everyone, I'm begging you, be kind and respectful to the people around you.