The DNC Isn't Going To Change

The DNC Isn't Going To Change

Why leaving the Democratic Party may be our best chance of actual change

5
The DNC Isn't Going To Change
Slate.com

I'm an anarchist. And first, I'd just like to lead this by saying that anarchy doesn't mean fires and rioting. It really means that I have enough faith in humanity that I believe we'd be able to govern ourselves, because only we know our best interests. In the wake of many recent events, I'm sure most of us agree that the people we're given to vote for aren't the ones with our best interests at heart. And the ones who have our interests in mind don't make it through the election. That's OK. It's weird, but we all grow up learning this. It's hard to explain, but it's true. At some point in our childhood or adolescence, we learn that there are arbitrary laws in place that aren't there to help us, or that directly contradict a way that we want to live. While seemingly random, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's much harder to rent venues for concerts, because over a decade ago, Joe Biden tried to get a law passed that would, in his eyes, lower the rates of ecstasy consumption in our country by making it harder to book raves. That law didn't pass. It shouldn't pass. It's ridiculous. But, dissatisfied with his bill not passing, he just incorporated that same restriction into an amber alert bill, and proposed that. No one will vote against an amber alert law, and because of that, local music suffered as an unintended result.

My point is that our government was made with a checks and balances system, but that our politicians have gotten way too good at circumventing that system. That's why I don't believe in voting. The one politician that actually got me paying attention in this election was Bernie Sanders, a man who actually seemed invested in making this country better for us. It's no wonder why he hasn't clinched the nomination, seeing as our establishment was threatened by the very idea of a Democratic Socialist outsider coming in to challenge the status quo, but it gave me hope. Maybe there was a silver lining, a glimmer of promise in our world that would make us better as a nation, but also as a global community. But as the Democratic National Convention approaches, it's becoming clear that if Hillary isn't indicted soon, she will win the nomination. And yes, we can protest, but it doesn't matter. It will happen either way.

I don't mean to be pessimistic here, and I'd rather not take the nihilistic "all is lost" route here, but protesting the results of a private organization who is essentially guaranteed a victory (albeit a terrifying one), doesn't really pose a threat to anyone in charge. So that's not what we should be doing, because they're prepared for us. Philadelphia is actually reopening closed prisons in preparation for protestors and civil disobedience, rendering the act useless. So what do we do? How do we voice our concern? We leave.

This election is lost. It was great proof that people want to see a change, but it was even greater proof that the Democratic Party will not allow us to have our victory. So we leave. We don't need to show them that we're angry, we need to stop supporting them all together. We need a new party, and a progressive one. We need to stay angry, but we need to use that to push us into a better world. Let the Democrats rot. Let them become what the Republican Party is-- a party built of ancient, out of touch conservatives, who are rapidly losing their audience. It's free to change your registration online to any party you'd like, and it's a google search away, so let's leave the Democratic Party empty, and let's form a party around the ideals that we want, instead of trying to get them to change. It's just a few minutes away, and nothing will hurt them more than a severe decrease in numbers.

So let's make it happen. Not with a protest, but with an exodus.