Ditch Your Avocado Toast, It's Not As Great As You Think

Upgrade your avocado toast, choose a toast topping alternative, or switch your breakfast completely. It's time for a change.

210

For a few years now, avocado toast has reigned supreme as the be-all-end-all of "healthy" breakfasts. I think it's time that should change. It is true that a slice of avocado toast provides a good combination of carbs and digestible fats, but in reality, it's more of a snack than a meal. And half an avocado on one slice of toast cannot provide the nutrients you need to get you through your day, or maybe even to your next meal. My greatest disinclination about avocado toast though, is that it's simply overdone. So i'll offer you a few options, upgrade your avocado toast, choose a toast topping alternative, or switch your breakfast completely.

Upgrading your avocado toast isn't as difficult as it sounds. Registered Dietitian in training, Rebecca Kimberly suggests, "adding protein like an egg to avocado toast can make it more of a well-rounded meal. Or, alternatively, adding a smoothie with a good source of protein on the side can round it out as well." Avocado toast can provide a great base to a hearty meal, but it should never stand as the entire meal. If you're looking to stay on the lighter side a fibrous fruit like an apple might pair well with the toast as well. I like to top my avocado toast with sliced tomato, everything but the bagel seasoning, and hot sauce. And on the side I'll slice up a hard boiled egg and whatever fruit I can find in my fridge - usually strawberries or a nectarine.

@Justine_Snacks on Tik Tok and Instagram, has a series in which she turns famous recipes into toast. Some of her most outlandish creations include: mac and cheese toast, poutine toast, and even spicy rigatoni toast. These toppings are aggressive to say the least, and slightly unrealistic for the average person's eagerness in the kitchen, but they're still fun and a refreshing break from the norm. A hearty, savory, and easy alternative, could be hummus toast, topped with pickled red onions. Or top with peanut butter, banana, and cinnamon if you're craving something sweet.

But if you're like me, and looking to switch the dish completely, there are other, just as easy and nutritious (if not more) alternatives you can try. Personally, my newest obsession is the peanut butter and jelly bagel. I toast a gluten free everything bagel - gluten free for personal reasons, but I'm sure a regular bagel would taste just as good or probably better - and top it with Costco's natural peanut butter as well as raspberry preserves. It is the perfect combination of savory and sweet, and oh so easy to prepare. Days when more protein is required a quick breakfast scramble might include, some chopped potatoes, an egg, onions, avocado and hot sauce. Scrambles are great for quick mornings since everything can be pre chopped, and it's all prepared in one pan. The carbohydrates from the potatoes and the protein from the egg will keep you full and energized until your next meal. And on days when you have a little extra time, protein pancakes topped with yogurt and berries can provide an indulgent and decadent meal.

If after all of this you want to stick with your smashed avocado on a slice of toast, I can't stop you. Eat what makes you happy. But, if you've been like me, over the avocado toast trend and desperately searching for something new, these alternatives might be just what you've been looking for.