Why Distance Truly Does Make The Heart Grow Fonder

Is the distance worth it?

484
Theresa Carcaldi

As the old saying goes, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." If you asked me before I came to college, I'd probably say, yes, I suppose I agree. But before coming to college, I never really had any distance between me and my loved ones. I saw my friends at school every day, and every night I came home to my family (and of course, my beloved puppy).

But college life completely changed that routine. Beginning my freshman year, I was no longer seeing my home friends or my family daily. Instead, they were an hour drive away, and much of my communication with them ended up being through text messages, phone calls, and FaceTime. At first, it was weird not being able to ask my mom a question from the kitchen while she was in the living room, or to text my friends saying, "Be there in five" for a late-night diner run. But with time, I grew accustomed to living most of my life without my family or my home best friends right there beside me.

Then sophomore year, one of my best friends began her mission trip. This was a little harder; she was no longer a text or phone call away. Instead, she was a monthly letter away (snail mail is truly the only phrase to describe the U.S. Postal Service). It felt strange not having my best friend at my fingertips anymore. I was left going weeks without knowing what she was doing or how she was doing. But when I finally received a letter in my mailbox, it was the best part of my day. Seeing her handwriting made me feel like she was right there telling me all of her stories.

Junior year, I studied abroad in Florence. This was a new test. I had been distanced from my loved ones before as a result of college, but I had never been put in a situation where I was not in the same time zone as them. Abroad completely changed that. It became a real game of planning, trying to coordinate my schedule (which was six hours ahead of home) with my family's in order to make a phone call. And when I found myself needing to ask my family or friends questions, or simply needed to hear their voice when I was homesick, I often couldn't. They were asleep or busy, or I was. It was hard. But, like any situation, I adapted.

And good thing I did! A few months later, I would enter the epitome of a long-distance relationship. With my boyfriend 10,000 miles away and 15 hours ahead of me, it certainly takes some scheduling and losing a bit of sleep. But again, this is my life; this is the life that I chose to live because I loved it, and I have adjusted well--just like I did before.

So, you can say I learned a thing--or four!--about distance in relationships. If you were to ask me now whether or not "distance makes the heart grow fonder," I would whole-heartedly say it does. My experience with long-distance friendships and relationships has made me independent, more so than I ever thought possible. It has made me learn how to truly love myself and my own company in times of loneliness. It has shown me how strong I am--it's not easy not being able to physically be with your loved ones or be able to pick up the phone when you need to talk to them.

But most importantly, it has made me appreciate my loved ones so much more. I appreciate their love and support, especially from miles and miles away. But I even appreciate their little quirks and the little moments shared with them--the moments that are often overlooked. And when I finally see them in person again, my heart is the happiest it has ever been. And I am truly able to appreciate the time I spend with them--every single millisecond.

You now know that I believe distance makes the heart grow fonder. But, you may ask, do I think the distance--the planning, the tight schedules, the moments where my heart aches from missing them so badly--is worth it?

Well, I would say, whole-heartedly, always.