Distance is Not a Bad Thing

Distance is Not a Bad Thing

If anything, it only makes us love people more.

21
Distance is Not a Bad Thing
http://imgur.com

One vital aspect of humanity is that we strongly value our relationships with others. We are beings that rely on interpersonal connection, and these connections reside at the very core of our souls. Consequently, we typically have a very hard time when we have to be apart from those we love. When we are not able to see our family, friends, and significant other, we typically feel the dull ache that goes along with missing someone, which is perfectly normal. But, there seems to be a very negative connotation with distance in any type of relationship. For some reason, there is an assumption that being apart from someone means that the relationship is going to fall apart. This is not at all true. In fact, often times distance can be a good thing.

Distance can be a good thing for many reasons. First of all, distance can give us necessary space to step back and reflect. Being apart from someone gives you time to think about the relationship and maybe even sort through any conflicts that may be occurring. Especially if you often butt heads with the person, distance can give all involved some necessary space to breathe.

Distance can also force you to work harder in your relationships with those you love. If you always see your close friends and family, you do not have to put in a huge amount of effort to stay in touch because you know that you will see them every other day or so. When you are far away from those you love and cannot see them all the time, you learn to put a lot of effort into the relationship through communicating even when it isn’t convenient and takes a lot of time. Sometimes you may not realize how important a person is to you until you are apart.

The best thing about distance, in my opinion, is that it truly makes you appreciate those that you love. Being apart from your loved ones makes you realize how much you need them and how important they are. The saying “Distance makes the heart grow fonder” is essentially true because being apart from people teaches you how to love them better. This isn’t to say that distance isn’t hard, because it is. But in the long haul, it’s worth the trouble because you can survive it and typically your relationships can end up benefiting, as long as you’re willing to put in the work.

Don’t be afraid of distance. Too often, we blame distance for the reason why relationships don’t work out, when typically it’s because of an underlying problem or lack of effort. If anything, distance makes you love people more. When you’re apart from those you love, you think of them often, communicate when you can, and count down the minutes until you can see them again. This is love, in it’s purest form. Being far away makes you realize how much you need a person, and how significant they are in your life. Distance is just a measure of miles. In the end, miles mean nothing when a person means so much.