How To Make Your Long Distance Friendship Last

Distance is just distance.

17
Madison Rose

Having that best friend you can turn to for anything at anytime of the day is something a lot of us are blessed with. When it comes down to it, having that distance in between you and your best friend either makes or breaks the friendship. College lasts about four years of your life. Being apart from you best friend during the most crazy, hectic, and dramatic years of your life is for sure a hard one. Here are some ways to keep the connection continuously going.

1. Communication

Communication truly is key to any type of relationship. The way I communicate with my Las Vegas friends is through FaceTime. FaceTime to me makes me feel as if I am there with my friends due to the fact I can see what they are seeing. In between classes I will make time to send my best friend, Darby, a text to check up on her and to make her feel important. Also, keeping up with their social media is a plus. A majority of us are some what addicted to social media, therefore checking up on your best friends on their different pages makes it easier to see what's going on with them!

2. Managing F.O.M.O.

What is F.O.M.O. you may ask? It means 'Fear Of Missing Out'. We've all been there. That feeling blows when your friend posts a snapchat of an insane college rager that you had no way of making it to. Jealousy instantly kicks in because you weren't there to party it up with your best friend. The way I cope with this situation is to just again, use communication, and make sure she's having a good time. Positivity is key. Ignore the fact your best friend is out doing other things, and think about all your opportunities to go out and do your thing.

3. Visits

Frequent visits to the airport for weekend trips usually aren't an option when you're a college student. Making a plan and putting money away early on gives you time to thoroughly succeed in a fun trip to see your bestie. Try to make it a girls weekend with just the two of you. Have fun activities neither of you have done before laid out! When I flew out my best friend to Denver, we managed to attend a Broncos game, visit the Skyline Beer Garden, and explore 16th Street Mall. Make it a memorable one! Once the visit is over, start planning the next one!

4. Small Gestures

Doing little things for your friends to show appreciation is the best. One thing I would totally recommend would be sending them a care package. Little treats and goodies that would make her smile will really keep the friendship long lasting. Maybe even send it with a hand written letter! This is a cheap, cute way of showing appreciation.

5. Find Things You Can Do Together, Apart

You would think that being apart from someone means that you can't do anything together, right? Well you're wrong! There are many ways to do things together! My friends and I start the same shows and have discussions on them even though we are 614 miles away. Set up a time and suggest a new or current show to start! You can also start the same book, hobby, or give each other suggestions while they are out shopping! Very simple, yet another way to remain connected.

Best friends wouldn't be best friends if they weren't the one you trust and love with everything in you. Continue being there for them through the hard times and remember distance is just distance.