21 Military Enlistment Disqualifiers Other Than Transgenderism

It's actually difficult for just anyone to serve, and should be.

1566
fairchild afb

I remember a JROTC instructor once said, "The Military doesn't want you! What else are you going to do?" Many factors can prevent entrance into the military. Here are only 21 of them:

1. Age & Gender

To join the Military you must be at least 17 years old and each branch has an age limit all below the age of 40. Women can now join many professions within the Military with the exception of combat jobs.

2. Abdominal and Gastrointestinal Issues

Ulcers, Hepatitis, Irritable Bowels, Small or Large Intestines, and a host of other stomach and digestive issues can affect your ability to perform physical demands.

4. Blood and Tissue Diseases

Chronic or recurring bleeding conditions can prevent service.

5. Dental, Mouth Hearing, Ears, Eyes, & Vision

Problems with your jaw, gums, lips, teeth, ears, eyes, vision, failing sensory tests, chronic conditions, and prior surgeries can disqualify.

6. Diabetes and Thyroid Issues

These are also disqualifiers.

7. Physical Flexibility and Stamina (Upper and Lower Extremities)

Every limb from head to toe must be able to move within good range of motion, you must be able to fully extend limbs, bend to certain angle degrees, run and walk in combat boots with a heavy uniform on, and pass physical training tests.

8. Ingrown Toenails

If severe, toenails can be disqualifiers.

9. Miscellaneous Conditions of Extremities

Arthritis, Fractures, Bone Injuries, Osteoporosis, Scars, and IMPLANTS...just to name a few!

10. Genitalia & Urinary System

There is an extensive list of issues with male and female genitalia that prevent service which include abnormal bleeding, pregnancy, menopause, amputation, lesions, enlargement, and "major abnormalities," urinary, and kidney conditions can disqualify you from service.

11. Head & Neck

Head injuries, deformities and defects can disqualify you from service as well as any conditions involving your neck that hinder you from wearing a uniform or carrying heavy equipment.

12. Heart & Vascular System

Heart conditions, "Abnormalities of the arteries and blood vessels, including aneurysms, even if repaired..." (military.com), hypertension, and vein diseases are included in this list.

13. Height

You can't be too short or too tall!

14. Weight & Body Build

There is a standard for body composition in the military so that personnel can perform physically taxing jobs!

15. Asthma, Chronic Bronchitis and Other Lung and Sinus Related Issues

They don't want you to have an asthma attack in combat.

16. Chronic Headaches of any kind

Neurological conditions such as headaches or injuries can prevent you from service.

17. Psychotic and Behavior Disorders

This is another long list but the point is mental health is important.

18. Skin Issues

Cysts, severe acne, eczema, leprosy, psoriasis, and even certain TATTOOS can prohibit you from serving.

19. Spine and Joint Issues

Let's just sum this one up by saying anything that keeps you from a physically active lifestyle can keep you out of the military.

20. Systemic Diseases

Diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis and Tuberculosis will disqualify you from serving.

21. Miscellaneous

"Any condition that in the opinion of the examining medical officer will significantly interfere with the successful performance of military duty or training may be a cause for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction." You can be disqualified because someone says so!

If you have any of these conditions...

A recruiter can verify if a condition can be waived or not, but if you enlist without being upfront about any and all medical, emotional, and social conditions, you can be "dishonorably discharged for fraudulent enlistment."

Consider Transgender Enlistment

So if we take a step back and consider allowing trans-gendered individuals to try out for the military fairly under the same scrutiny as everyone else, can they can meet all of the criteria? As extensive as my condensed list of conditions is, is it possible that the side effects from gender therapies fall under the disqualifying items?

According to Revel and Riot, hormones can cause changes in body fat, mood, menstruation, genitals, skin conditions, bone size, liver disease, and blood conditions.

Consider people who've been through hormone therapies and surgeries that have side effects and how that can disqualify them for medical reasons alone.

Is it right to allow anyone currently serving to alter their bodies and then be exempt from PT Tests or be unable to fully perform in their jobs for months such as Ashleigh Buch was, while others with physical limitations can be honorably discharged if unable to pass the same tests?

Is it in a trans-gendered person's and their teammates' best interests for them to be in combat when hormone therapy has physical and psychological side effects?

Consider the military spouses with painful vein conditions that are not covered by their Insurance since the procedures are considered "cosmetic" while transgender service members seek coverage for gender change.

In conclusion, the military is extremely selective. The ultimate goal is mission readiness. Any physical condition that could possibly impact that readiness will be scrutinized for the safety of the whole team. Hype aside, there are reasonable medical implications to consider.