Disney Songs That Are College Kid Anthems

Life lessons that Disney has been teaching us from the beginning that are extremely relevant to college students.

72
Unsplash.com

1. Part of Your World- The Little Mermaid

"When's it my turn? Wouldn't I love to explore that shore above?" College is hard, frustrating, and tiring. We all reach the point where we're ready to graduate and join the real world without the stress of midterms and papers. Princess Ariel shares in our eagerness to become part of something bigger than ourselves.

2. Dig a Little Deeper- The Princess and the Frog

"Don't matter what you look like. Don't matter what you wear. Don't matter where you come from. Dig down deep inside yourself, you'll found out what you need.Blue skies and sunshine, guaranteed" Mama Odie sings an inspirational message about looking inside yourself to discover who you are instead of focusing on what other people say about you or where you come from. College is about defining yourself and becoming who YOU want to be!

3. Go the Distance- Hercules

"I won't look back, I can go the distance. And I'll stay on track, no I won't accept defeat. It's an uphill slope, but I won't lose hope, 'till I go the distance." We're all on a path to greatness. When we fail a quiz, didn't get the grade we wanted, or just overwhelmed with depression, we want to give up because we feel like the world is against us. Our boy Hercules reminds us that life is supposed to be difficult, but we can't give up, or we'll never get where we want to go.

4. A Whole New World- Aladdin

"A whole new world. A new fantastic point of view. No one to tell us "No" or where to go." Freshman year is exciting! We're experiencing a whole new freedom for the first time. We can finally make our own decisions about what classes we take and where we get involved. It's a fresh start and this song captures that exact feeling!

5. Almost There- The Princess and the Frog

"Trials and tribulations, I've had my share. There ain't nothin' gonna stop me now, 'cause I'ma almost there." Tiana sang about working hard and focusing on where you want to go in life with inspirational heart and soul. When you set your mind on where you want to go after graduation, don't let anything get in your way because your hard work will pay off!

6. Bare Necessities- The Jungle Book

"Look for the bare necessities. The simple bare necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife." Is anything more inspirational than a singing bear? There are so many things to do in college, and it's easy to become overwhelmed. Sometimes the best thing to do is take a step back and focus on the simplicity of taking care of yourself and the 'bare necessities' of life.

7. When Will My Life Begin- Tangled

"And I'll keep wanderin' and wanderin' and wanderin' and wonderin'. When will my life begin?" College can sometimes feel like it's lasting an eternity and we share in Repunzel's eagerness to break out and finally start living life.

8. Reflection- Mulan

"Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me. Why is my reflection someone I don't know?" College is a time of self-discovery, but that's a difficult process. Finding out who we are takes time, and we feel just as frustrated as Mulan does. It is important to remember that it's all about being yourself, not who your friends and family want you to be.

9. Hakuna Matata- The Lion King

"It means no worries for the rest of your days. It's our problem-free philosophy. Hakuna Matata!" I'll say it again and again, college is STRESSFUL! Remember to take a step back every now and then to let go of your stress and worries and relax. It's healthy to chill out every once and while.

10. How Far I'll Go- Moana

"The line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me and no one knows how far it goes." If you're like me, you're driven by your dreams and aspirations. You're driven to reach your goal and beyond and prove to everyone, who told you that you couldn't do it, wrong. Moana's anthem is a call to people like me to continue on our path for nothing can stop us.

11. Why Should I Worry- Oliver & Company

"Why should I worry? Why should I care? I may not have a dime, but I got street savoir faire." We're all broke in college and this song is a reminder that having money isn't everything. Yes, we have to pay for school, but don't let your lack of money keeps you from being happy and living life to its fullest.

12. Just Around the Riverbend- Pocahontas

"What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing, always flowing." Pocahontas isn't the only one facing a life crisis about where she wants to go and who she wants to be. It can be a challenge, choosing a life path, but remember what the song says, 'the water is always changing,' and it's never too late to change your major, career path, etc. Follow your heart!

13. I'll Make a Man Out of You- Mulan

"Tranquil as a forest but on fire within. Once you find your center, you are sure to win." All of us possess and inner strength to overcome everything college and life throws at us. This powerful anthem reminds us to dig deep, find that strength, and power through. It's all about having the confidence to pass that exam, apply for that internship, and make the most of what you're given!

14. I Just Can't Wait to Be King- The Lion King

"I'm gonna be the main event like no king was before. 'm brushing up on looking down I'm working on my roar." Just like Simba, we're wanting to grow up quickly, and skip all the hard work, ready to be living our best lives. This song appeals to our desire to be on top which can be an inspiration to work even harder.

15. Out There- The Hunchback of Notre Dame

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day. Not above them. But part of them" At some point in our lives, someone has told us we'll never become the person we want to be. Just like Quasimodo, we all share a longing to be 'normal' and be content with our lives instead of being told 'no' everyday. Sometimes we might not get that grade or internship, and all we want is to belong.

16. I Have a Dream- Tangled

"She's got a dream. They got a dream. We've got a dream. So our differences ain't really that extreme." Lastly, college is a community. We all come from different backgrounds, on different paths, but we all share one thing. A dream. Everyone is here for a reason, and whether we know it or not, we're all feeling the exact same things. These songs remind us that we're all alike, all struggling together. In the end, we're never alone, and our childhood heroes are always here to remind us.

DISNEY FOR COLLEGE KIDS

DISNEY FOR COLLEGE KIDSopen.spotify.com