So You Didn't Get Into The Disney College Program?

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

12169
Disney Parks

This past January was my first time applying to the Disney College Program. It felt like I had been waiting for this experience for so long; ever since my sister did the program in 2015. That summer my mom, brother, and I had a perfect excuse to go to Disney World. She was so happy to be doing simple jobs that anywhere else would have been considered horrible.

She guided us around the park as if she knew it like the back of her hand. She pointed out hidden Mickeys that were scattered throughout the parks and told us all of the fun facts she had learned. That's when I realized that Disney was something I loved so much that I would happily scrub toilets all day if it meant being a cast member. I checked the DCP's website multiple times a day just to see if the applications were open. Then finally, on January 23rd, they were!

I remember staring at all of the different parts to the application and checking and re-checking to make sure everything was perfect. I was so worried that I wasn't good or impressive enough. I eventually stopped worrying when I found a quote from Walt Disney saying, "Why worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better." After I sent it in, the waiting game began.

I must have checked my submission status over three times a day; which I knew at the time was a bit excessive, but I just didn't care. I even tried to force myself to go a certain number of hours without looking. I would tell myself, "Okay, I'll just check once when I first wake up, then again after class at 2:00, and then just before I go to bed." To be honest, I probably had that part of my life planned out better than I've ever had anything planned out before. Then one day, while scrolling through the 200 emails I was too lazy to delete, I stopped.

Disney.

It took a while but I eventually built up the courage to open it. My eyes scanned the page and then I read, "join us for character auditions!"

Let me tell you now that I did not get accepted. To be more specific, I didn't get past my initial application. I went straight from "submission" to "no longer in consideration." Upon receiving that fateful email containing the very words that I had feared I would once read, "We have reviewed your application. Unfortunately, at this time you are no longer being considered for our fall season(s),"

I immediately began speculating about what it was on my application that turned them away from me. Was it my past work experience? Was it my selections for roles? Was it my name?!

I was so confused as to what was on everyone else's application that wasn't on mine. I had spent almost two years watching YouTube videos of applicants doing their phone interviews, telling me to "smile! They can hear it in your voice!" and to "prepare, but don't over prepare." Hours of information I never even got the chance to use.

To explain what my application looked like, of course there was the obvious information—name, address, past work experience, etc. Then I got to the Disney related questions like which park do you want to work at? What roles are you interested in? I selected to work only in Florida, one, because it is the park I know and love, and two, because I know they accept more college program applicants than California. Now as far as I am aware, this does not affect your chance of getting a WBI (web-based interview, which is the second part of the application process).

Now the part I know is important when they are deciding which applicants get to progress and which to ditch is the role selections. From the plethora of YouTube videos I watched, I learned that it is important to not be picky, which I wasn't. I put low interest for only one role, Lifeguard (because frankly all of the children would drown.) Now I thought this was the most important part of the application, but now I'm starting to wonder what Disney is really looking for from their applicants.

I went on the Facebook page for Disney applicants almost everyday to see if anyone had received an update on their submission status, or to see if anyone had any tips; but sometimes what I would read surprised me. Now don't get me wrong, there were dozens of amazing people posting funny gifs to take away the stress or people introducing themselves and trying to make friends.

Every so often, however, I would come across a post of someone saying, "I don't even like Disney that much, just applying for fun." These people, mind you, were being accepted into the program. Meanwhile, I am sitting at my laptop that I have covered in Disney stickers, twiddling my thumbs, staring at my submission status. Then one day I arrive to class and before my professor got there I checked my email. I remember my heart flying out of my chest seeing that I had received an email from Disney and I remember it sinking as I read it.

I was so angry at those people who had said that they didn't like Disney. I thought, "How dare you dislike Disney and steal that opportunity from someone who actually wanted it; someone who would have actually been excited to receive an acceptance". It always confused me why someone would apply to something they don't care about.

Now, for those of you that have been rejected from the Disney College Program, what I want to say to you is, don't be mad at Disney. I felt angry at Disney for a while and it took me a little bit of time to realize how ridiculous that was. They may have rejected me this time but I've got three more years to apply. If you don't have the luxury of having the rest of your college life to apply, remember that graduates can apply too, the program is simply meant for undergraduates; meaning you won't benefit as much (as if being able to put you worked for Disney on your resume isn't benefit enough.) Also, don't tell yourself that you are done applying because you didn't get in when you wanted to; especially if this is your first time applying. If you can just give up the DCP after one go, you obviously didn't want it that bad to begin with. All you can do is apply next season and hope they give you a shot.

So you didn't get into the Disney College Program? So what? Keep watching Disney movies, keep singing Disney songs in the shower, keep watching DCP Vlogs on YouTube, and keep applying! Never give up on your dreams. Remember the wise words of Walt Disney, "the difference in winning and losing is most often...not quitting."

Also, if you are one of the people who got accepted into the Disney College Program this season, congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful time and make sure to take lots of pictures, eat lots of dole whip, and ride ALL the rides!

If I've gotten you into the Disney mood now, here are a couple videos you can check out!

Fantasmic! - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Top Disney Fails 2017