How One Disney Character Became a Personal Favorite

There's one Disney Character who went from being one of my least favorites to my absolute favorite.

42
https://media1.tenor.com/images/95ae8f299dc6096c56e6a8458a72343b/tenor.gif?itemid=16329160

As someone who loves Disney, I'll admit that there are a lot of characters that I like quite a bit. But it does take a lot for a character to become one of my favorites, and it also takes a lot for me to not like a character as well. There are a very select few Disney characters that I hold dear to me, and there is a reason for that. For me to absolutely love someone, I have to have some sort of connection, like a way that either I currently relate to or have related to that character in my own life. I want to look at that character and also see a part of me inside them. Although I have many characters that do this, there has been one lately that has held a very special place in my heart right now. Also, I should note that this was a character who I was never exactly a huge fan of at first either, but I'll explain how this particular one warmed up to me.

I bet you all are familiar with the Frozen movies, and with that you're familiar with Elsa. I'm going to be honest right now, when I first saw the movie Frozen, I was not a huge fan of Elsa. Why? Well, it has nothing to do with the movie itself (I do actually love the Frozen movies) and it also has nothing to do with the song she sang (even though it was so overplayed). It was the way her character was shown. Honestly at the time I thought Elsa was pretty damn selfish for most of the movie. She pulled herself away from just about everyone and pushed people away who tried to reach out. I'll admit that at the end of that movie and up till the time of Frozen 2 I warmed up to her a little bit, but she still wasn't my favorite.

Then literally 6 years after Frozen released, we got Frozen 2. At the start of the second movie, I did find that I was starting to like Elsa a bit more, mostly because I felt that the movie was doing a better job of diving into her character. Through the second movie, I found that I was really starting to connect with Elsa more. In the movie, her sister Anna just wants Elsa to see herself as an amazing queen like she does, but Elsa at first is struggling with the feeling that she's going to mess things up. Through Elsa's journey of trying to find herself and why exactly she has the powers she has, she does learn to see herself in the way others see her. There are very few moments in Disney movies that I feel a strong connection to something that's happening in a movie, but the moment the song "Show Yourself" comes on in the movie, I tend to feel a sense of power inside me. It's hard for me to find a song that top's my #1 favorite Disney song (you can't tell me that "You'll be in my heart" from Tarzan is not one of the most beautiful songs), but this song is very close to that spot. The moment in that song when Elsa literally says "I am found" makes me cry everytime I watch it (or even listen to it). "Show Yourself" is literally the better version of "Let it Go", and to me there's no better feeling of watching Elsa finally realize her own worth.

As someone who has personally gone through similar feelings like Elsa had, I felt like I could relate to her on such a personal level. Sure, I don't have ice powers (I wish), but I do wish that I could see myself the way others see me. It's the feeling like I know I'm a good person, but sometimes I just don't see it. But in a way, seeing the transformation that Elsa went through, I somehow gained some sort of confidence that the same thing will happen to me, and that I can see myself in the same good light that others do.

I think if I have ever learned anything from Elsa, it's that even though it takes a lot of work and a good amount of will to find your inner self, that whole journey is worth it because once you do, there's no going back. To me, seeing someone who went from struggling with being confident to a confident, independent Queen fills my heart with joy. So yes, Elsa does currently hold a special place in my heart, and I'm pretty sure she'll stay there for quite some time.