4 Things To Consider After Someone Says Trump 'Made American Great Again'

Yes, unemployment rates are relatively low across all populations, but that's not all it takes to Make America Great Again.

107
Jerry Kiesewetter at Unsplash

Yes, unemployment has been at an all time low in this country for African Americans. Yes, there are Blacks for Trump, Hispanics for Trump, Asians and Muslims for Trump. Yes, he has done some things which have improved the state of this country, but not without negative externalities. This president spoke to crowds, and his populist persona helped win him the election whether anyone likes it or not. But this doesn't mean that we should forget about our fellow neighbors who aren't thriving in these times.

1. Post-Election Effects on School Children

All kinds of hate groups have been rising in numbers across the country since 2014; regardless, since the last election, some groups of people in this country have experienced an increase in hatred against them.

According to a study by the Southern Poverty Law Center,

"90 percent of educators report that school climate has been negatively affected... [and a] full 80 percent describe heightened anxiety and concern on the part of students worried about the impact of the election on themselves and their families."

2. Teachers Have Seen Some of the Disturbing Effects First-Hand

The following are some of the chilling events school teachers have faced in their classrooms:

"One Muslim girl clung to her kindergarten teacher on November 9 and asked, 'Are they going to do anything to me? Am I safe?’” — EARLY CHILDHOOD TEACHER, TENNESSEE

“I have had one male student grab a female student’s crotch and tell her that it’s legal for him to do that to her now...One of my students from last year who is Muslim has not worn her hijab since the election. She is one of three Muslim students in our school.” — ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHER, MINNESOTA

“Most of my students come from Hispanic backgrounds. Many of their parents came to the states illegally. We also have some Muslim students. Many of them were crying and so scared the day after Trump won. They are thinking of future plans just in case. My Muslim students wondered why America didn’t like them. It’s been tough and emotionally exhausting.” — MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER, PENNSYLVANIA

and there is more...

“In the week since the election, I have personally had to deal with the following issues:

1) Boys inappropriately grabbing and touching girls, even after they said no (this never happened until after the election);

2) White students telling their friends who are Hispanic or of color that their parents are going to be deported and that they would be thrown out of school;

3) White students going up to students of color who are total strangers and hurling racial remarks at them, such as, ‘Trump is going [to] throw you back over the wall, you know?’ or ‘We can’t wait until you and the other brownies are gone’” — MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER, INDIANA

“This is my 21st year of teaching. This is the first time I’ve had a student call another student the ‘n’ word. This incident occurred the day after a conference with the offender’s mother. During the conference, the mother made her support of Trump known and expressed her hope that ‘the blacks’ would soon ‘know their place again.’” — ELEMENTARY TEACHER, GEORGIA

3. What YOU Can Do

Show your support for these affected populations through social media and by standing up for them when you see discrimination take place.

You can also join individuals who have been negatively affected by the election at protests to show them that you stand by them and believe in their human rights. Lastly, you can always extend an empathetic heart out to those who express concerns about emboldened discrimination.

Your voice could empower people who feel left behind by today's America. Show them hope. Show them that there are people who care!

4. Lastly, most Trump supporters are likely compassionate people, so give them the benefit of the doubt.

This article is no dig at you if you voted for Trump; I think there are perfectly valid reasons why people voted for him!This is to say, however, that tensions between different communities have been strengthened by Trump's presidency whether he attempted to do so or not, so we need to show all of our fellow Americans some love.

Even if you think we should have tougher stances on immigration or higher vetting in countries with high levels of terrorism, you can still make it a goal to make these recently targeted populations feel welcome because this country is rooted in freedom.

This country stands for freedom of speech, freedom to worship and freedom from violence. That's what's great about this nation; even when you disagree with others' religious preferences, sexual orientations, or their culture, everyone has the freedom to live their life as they please as long as they don't impede on the freedoms of others.

If you are a true American, you'll defend these rights for everyone. When we do that, we can truly Make America Great!