Discovery

Discovery

18
Discovery

Over the last two months, I watched two movies of very different genres explore the same theme. The first, Interstellar, deals with a dystopian future, where the earth starts to lack the necessary food supplies to sustain a human life forces. The second, Moana, also dealt with the destruction of the main character's natural environment.
Though the two movies were different holistically, one an edgy, complicated science fiction and the other a musical, cartoon children's movie, they bore the same message. Triumph over the obstacle was accomplished because people, each "selected" in some way, had the nerve to look beyond their boundaries. Inside, both main characters know that they belong outside of what they are familiar with. In contrast, those which discourage their efforts are seen as somewhat simple and without vision, unable to comprehend what must be done in order to preserve survival.

Cooper, played by Mathew McConaughey does a lot of pointing. A lot of looking into the distance, speaking in his slow thoughtful voice, infused with yearning. The theme of his message can be encapsulated in one quote: "we are still pioneers... our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us." In the same way, Moana stares at the tattered sail of an old boat, and has a vision of her village's past. As she stares (into the distance as well) a smile breaks across her face, and she exclaims, "We were voyagers!" These two characters prove their discourages wrong. Because of their tenacity, and their willingness to explore they save the world.

The choice of this path for both heroes indicates something interesting about society. Generally, conservatives are viewed as disliking change. In these stories, they would be the wary villagers who are hesitant to go beyond the reef. They would be the farmers who do not want the money from their crops going to space exploration when it could be feeding people. In the current political election the slogan "make America great again" indicates that America needs to be set back to previous norms.

Liberals are always perceived pushing, even at things that aren't broken. They are seen as willing to try new things, accept the unknown, like homosexuality, new forms of government, journeying past the reef, and taking a fool's chance at going through a wormhole to find a new home. I identify strongly with the main characters of each of the movies. I love traveling. I am willing to implement new policies in my life to see how they might improve them. But I think the general statements made by the main characters of the movie are wrong. To describe mankind as "voyagers" or "pioneers" entirely is inaccurate. It is entirely essential that it is inaccurate.

To have a species entirely focused on being discovers would be fatal. Every group of people needs a backbone, or a balance to keep it on the right track. In Interstellar, one of the characters callously tells Mathew McConaughey's character, Cooper, that the world doesn't need explorers right now, it needs farmers. In a dystopian future, the most important role of a person is to provide for others. The viewers are supposed to be sympathetic to Cooper, but the negative voice was absolutely right. If everyone did what Cooper did, there wouldn't be any home left for Cooper to save.

In order for society to function, the world needs a balance between exploration and practicallity. Someone needs to create the constancy for practical change to be supported by. Recognizing this is essential for congruency between two different ideals.