The 5 Different Types Of Spring Breakers

The inside scoop of how students spend their time over break.

4
Maggie Ruane

Spring Break is one of the three big countdowns all college students look forward to for a time of freedom. Yes, I am one of those people. 33 more days until summer! But who cares, or who’s counting? Moreover, one of the most common questions heard within the month of spring break is, “What are you doing for spring break?” I know, shocker. Who saw that one coming? Ladies and gents, this is the question that can make it or break it. For me personally, I love hearing what others have planned, but when it comes to others, I can’t promise the same. With that being said, being in school for what feels like an endless eternity, I have narrowed down the category of our fellow spring-breaker groups:

1. The Partiers

“Spring break 2016, take your tops off.” We have all seen, heard, and maybe experienced what it is like to be in college and go on the “basic” spring break trip. Most people might say it’s just a stereotype, but let me correct you, it exists. What came first, the movies or the people? Well, let me tell you this: it is what you see in those movies for a reason. These students want to be part of this experience, to live it up, embrace being young, free, and adventurous, and not have a care or priority in the world. Wow, that sounds great! However, groups of college students gathering from all over the world, spending one week at a beach with no rules or limits? Can I get a YOLO or YO NO? Nothing else screams living life to the fullest and not remembering what the heck happened. If you don’t believe it, tune in to your local social media accounts and see what this week’s posts and hashtags are.

2. The Student Athlete

This could be a fun experience or a daily routine. Traveling to compete is an unforgettable experience and something most athletes really look forward to (personally, I always did), when the time all of the hard work put in, pays off, right? Also, having the opportunity to visit a different town and play against different schools: what a treat! But then there are cases where you have to stay at school in order to practice. What is a spring break if you are waking up super early and going through your regular daily routine? Personally, going through both situations, I can tell you it is a roller coaster of emotions, so shout out to all the athletes who experienced either situation over break!

3. The Worker

These are the people who may have forgotten to request off work, want to work, or don’t have a choice. To the ones who forgot to request off or do not have a choice, I sympathize with you. For those who just enjoy working and don’t like to have breaks, let me state this kindly: you are crazy.

4. The Family Visit

As I have said earlier, spring break is a week to have downtime for yourself. Who in their right mind would want to go home and spend time with their family? We are in college; we are far from home for a reason. Am I right? The typical response heard is, “Yeah, I’m going home because I don’t have enough money to go anywhere else.” Well, that’s where most would be shocked. I am one of those students who goes home for every break (no, I am not forced or paid), but I just actually enjoy going home and spending time with my family. Being almost five hours away from home makes me appreciate what I miss dearly: my home and family (my bed and home-cooked meals). But really, nothing is better than returning home after months of being away. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying all people have this perspective that home is a terrible place, but the reactions I have received from others when I tell them I am going home blows my mind.

5. The Hero

Students, what else screams dedication when it comes to giving up a break of freedom to help others around the world? Luckily we have good groups of people all over the world in different organizations who give up their time for the well-being of others. Whether it is a mission trip, Habitat for Humanity, or a personal goal, there are so many options, and the students who make this opportunity possible are great! So check it out. Be aware of what your school and town is offering.

Well, there you have it. I’m your basic college student, and this is how I see spring break. To all of you out there who were on spring break and have to go back, best of luck!