Dramatic Differences Between Freshmen And Senior Year Of College

From freshmen year to senior year, college changes as we change with it.

203

College is hard, but you're doing the darn thing. If you're a freshman in college, a senior, or either year in between, by now you've hopefully acknowledged the changes that college creates in each of us. Perhaps by comparing freshmen year to senior year of college, you're able to understand the depth of change that it truly establishes in each of us, as both a student and an individual.

Classes

• Freshmen year is the start of Gen Eds and figuring out which major is right for you. As you debate what career path you should take, classes can become stressful, overwhelming, and time-consuming. You realize that college courses are certainly more demanding than high school courses and you adjust your study methods accordingly. The classes you've enrolled in are probably 8 a.m. or relatively early since class enrollment times are last for freshmen. You may have an intended major, but there's still plenty of time to change your mind.

• Senior year is more smooth-sailing than the previous three years of college. Class enrollment by this year is pick-of-the-litter and allows you to choose later classes if you please. By senior year you hopefully have your career path planned out and perhaps even have a job lined up post-college. Your classes this year are often following a specific field you've chosen and the information within the courses help adapt you to a career in that field. You're still enjoying the free time that university classes entail, but you're slowly preparing yourself to be skillful enough for a full-time job within the next year.

Friends

• Freshmen year is about meeting new people and making new friends. As you start the new adventure of college, you'll meet plenty of people. You'll have nearly hundreds of acquaintances as you determine which people you have something in common with. The people you meet will change alongside you as you continue to grow throughout college. It may take time, but you'll find your perfect niche of close friends.

• Senior year you've found your group of people you call your close friends. You've evolved those friendships into a smaller, trustworthy group. These friends are usually the people you'll find yourself keeping in your life post-college. They've probably helped you through many life and collegiate challenges and are bound to be there for you for years to come.

Socialization

Pop Sugar

• Freshmen year you either entered knowing a few people at the college or entered knowing no one. As you get to know more people and pick your friends, social events or parties often seem out of reach. Getting into parties requires knowing who's hosting it and having a connection to get inside. Depending on your college, attending parties can be a challenge and a less consistent occurrence. As a result, socialization could derive from dorm-room hangouts or spending time at your favorite off-campus spots.

• Senior year you're most likely 21-years-old and have your small circle of friends. You may already have experience with social events or parties and have met hundreds to thousands of people over the past four years. Depending on your school and your age, you may start to rid of the party scene and opt for the bars or a home-hangout instead. By senior year, going out can feel like a hassle and if you do go out, perhaps you tend to not worry about looking dressed to the nine's.

Confidence

• Freshmen year you're finding your way to transition from high school into college. You're adjusting to a new life and you begin to figure out who you truly are. Whether it be in classes or amongst other people, your confidence is just peaking during this year, as it has the potential to reach a higher level as time passes. Hopefully, you've gathered some confidence in the past 18 years or so, but college is just beginning and setting the framework for your self-confidence to ignite.

• Senior year you've found your close-knit friends, determined your major, and figured out who you truly are. You've encountered numerous challenges that college has thrown at you over the years and you're still standing strong. You're ready to successfully graduate college and start your adult life. Your confidence has emerged as you've grown as an individual and you're ready to take on the real world. Collegiate life has taught you many life lessons and skillful career techniques, but the experience overall has brought you to the confident, powerful, and competent individual you are today.

Whether you're a freshman, senior, or either grade in between, be proud that you're a college student. Even though college throws obstacles at you, don't forget that you'll get through it all and things will get better. Keep your head high and keep up the good work. I wish you all well in your college education!