Difference between VoLTE and LTE Difference between
News

What is LTE and VoLTE

35
LTE & VoLTE
https://techglucose.com/difference-between-lte-and-volte/

LTE stands for “Long-Term Evolution”. Technically, it is a standard for high-speed cellular data communication systems based on its predecessors UMTS and HSPA. It is an important step towards a high performance cellular data service using a different radio interface along with a small network upgrade. It is the next level of mobile communication technology (4G) developed and implemented by “3GPP” (Third Generation Partnership Project), a consortium of mobile communication associations.

The need for high data rates with significantly higher bandwidth and flexibility in frequency ultimately resulted in a new standard for high-speed mobile broadband services—LTE. It is a great upgrade from the low-speed 2G standard (GSM) and 3G technology, providing unparalleled user experience for long-term reliability. Due to the next-generation connectivity and significant upgrades to the original 3G technology for a more simplified architecture, the ITU-R decided to officially call it as 4G LTE.

The idea is to use a different radio interface because LTE's wireless interface was incompatible with the 2G and 3G standards. Furthermore, a simplified and redefined network architecture was required that could reduce transmission latency and still use some elements of the 3G architecture. This gives rise to 4G LTE, which works more efficiently and provides much higher data rates compared to 3G.

Theoretically, LTE down link rates can peak at 300 Bit/s and uplink speeds at 75 Bit/s, plus it allows multicast and broadcast flows to fine-tune signal strength and improve bandwidth. In addition, it is an IP-based packet-switched network that supports both IPV4 and IPV6. LTE is based on OBAMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access) to enable higher data bandwidth while providing a high degree of immunity to interference.

What is VoLTE?

There was no support for voice in LTE, which in turn gave rise to VoLTE, short for Voice over LTE. It is a highly standardized system to make HD voice calls more efficient and faster than 2G / 3G networks over 4G LTE. It is a more advanced cellular data communication technology that allows users to send voice and data over the 4G LTE band without hampering sound quality. VoLTE is specifically aimed at managing and enhancing high-speed voice and data services over 4G LTE networks.

In LTE, the voice quality is reduced while making voice calls with the data connection and therefore prompts you to turn off mobile data to get a better voice call service. Some networks would automatically stop the data transfer process to preserve the voice quality over 2G / 3G bands. However, cellular data will not interfere with the voice call service with VoLTE, which enables uninterrupted voice call services even with the data connection on.

In technical terms, VoLTE is an IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) based network that supports packet switching. The data from CDMA and GSM networks will be converted to network packets before transmission. VoLTE is limited to IMS-based networks only, simplifying interconnection for better voice and data services. It allows a variety of services to work seamlessly, rather than using various applications at the same time.

VoLTE does not do a lot of switching between network frequencies, making the call box faster than the network with regular 3G voice calls, making it beneficial to the end user. It also enables better network connectivity, which ultimately takes a lot of load at desperate times when the network is congested. It frees up bandwidth by optimizing the LTE packet stream, making it light, resulting in superior voice and data services.

Difference between LTE and VoLTE

1. Voice quality

LTE may or may not support voice and data services at the same time without affecting voice quality, making it less efficient than VoLTE networks, which, on the other hand, allow faster dialing of voice calls. Both users will experience an uninterrupted call, if they are on VoLTE network, resulting in seamless calls.

2. Data connection

In LTE, the network turns off the data connection during voice calls, while you don't need to turn off your data connection while making a call in VoLTE. While LTE is aimed at increasing data speed on 4G bandwidth, VoLTE is aimed at both voice calls and internet data without interfering with each other.

3. Internet addiction

Internet data must always be enabled to make free calls, and it cannot be turned off. In VoLTE, on the other hand, you don't need to keep Internet data on to make free calls.

4. Call setup time

It takes about 7 seconds to connect a call on 3G network, while the connection time is significantly reduced if both users are connected on 3G network via VoLTE. If both are on VoLTE, it's just a matter of others.

5. External software

External software is required to make video calls on LTE networks such as Skype, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc. You don't need any external software to make video calls on VoLTE networks—you just need your phone number to video call someone.

LTE vs. VoLTE

LTEVoLTE
LTE stands for long-term development.VoLTE stands for Voice over Long-Term Evolution.
May or may not support call and data services together.It supports voice calls and data services together.
Impact voice quality when using voice and data together.Using data and voice services at the same time does not affect voice quality.
Calls are connected a little slower.Talk time is faster than LTE.
Third-party software is required to make video calls.No third-party apps are required to make video calls.

Summary

• There are so many acronyms associated with cellular networks, with LTE and VoLTE being thrown around so much that they are often used in marketing. But both are entirely different things.
  • LTE is the next generation of mobile technology that offers high data transfer rates over 4G networks. Theoretically, LTE supports download speed up to 100 Mbps and upload speed up to 50 Mbps. The terms 4G are synonymous with LTE.
  • VoLTE, on the other hand, supports both voice and data simultaneously without impacting the quality of the other. Unlike LTE, voice calls and web browsing are also possible over VoLTE networks. This means you can make voice calls and surf the web using the data plan.