Surprise, I Didn't Choose To Attend Arizona State To Party

It's time to stop assuming that's what student's base their decisions off of.

263
Instagram

Yes, Arizona State University has had a reputation in the past for being the “Number One party school in America” and yes, ASU knows how to throw a good party. But no, that is not why I chose to go there.

In the beginning of 2017 when I had made my decision to attend Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, I couldn’t have been more excited.

Flash forward to the end of my first semester and I am still filled with that same excitement. With college app season in the works for seniors in high school, I can’t help but reflect on my experience with sharing my college of choice with my family, friends and peers.

Broadcast journalism has been a career choice and a passion of mine since my sophomore year in high school. When researching the universities that would be best to make my dreams a reality, Walter Cronkite’s School of Journalism was top on the list.

After many visits, research and even a two-week summer camp, I knew this was the place for me.

As I spread the news to family, friends and even teachers, I received the same reaction each time. “ASU, big party school, right?” or “ASU! Remember to study in between all those parties!” I would laugh, I would joke back and then I’d quickly try to defend myself. Stating the all the amazing facts about Cronkite I had grown to memorize.

After a while I started to think to myself, why do I have to defend myself? I’m aware of the reputation Arizona State carries but I’m also aware that the school is much more than a title from the 2000’s.

In the past few years, Arizona State has yet to make any “Biggest Party School” chart while the Walter Cronkite school ranks #10 in top journalism schools according to College Magazine (2016).

I can personally attest to the amazing hands-on experience that Cronkite has offered to me in my first semester and I have never once questioned my decision to attend Arizona State.

So, as high school students start their college journey, keep this in mind: go to a school that not only is the best fit for your career but is the spot you can see yourself living and growing for the next four years.

You shouldn’t have to defend your college decision because it is not anyone’s decision but your own. Own it! Go to the spot where you know you can further your passions and feel at home.

Every college has parties, you won’t be at a shortage if you choose to go to a school that may not have a specific “reputation”, just like you won’t be struggling at a college that might have a so-called “reputation.”

As I return home for the holidays, I will talk about my college experience thus far with pride and happiness. Despite the snarky comments, I know I made the best decision for myself.

I will rant about how I am learning to produce sports segments, attending Phoenix Sun’s games in the production truck and writing for an amazing online website. I will also talk about how if I want to attend a party on a Friday night, I totally can and it’s awesome.

It’s time to stop assuming every student is going to make their decisions based off an old, internet provoked reputation, and it’s time to start supporting students dreams and pushing them to make their college experience as wholesome and beneficial as possible.

I love being a Sun Devil and I love everything that the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism has offered to me so far. I only hope that each incoming freshman in college can say the same about their college of choice.