The Ultimate Dictionary Of Southern Words & Phrases

Yes, we do say these things.

16063
Emory Maiden / Flickr

Being from the South myself, I realize that we have a completely different language of words rather than the North. It truly is a complete major change in culture. If I could only count the times I've been made fun of for my accent or things I say... And because so many people ask, I am here to give you a list of common Southern phrases and words with the meaning behind them.

1. Y'all

Yes, we use this word. All the time, actually. If two or more people are near, we use this word to address the group. For example, "How are y'all?" Whereas in the North, you may find "you guys" being used instead.

2. Buggy

This one is actually pretty funny. I've heard the debate multiple times, but in the South, we call a "shopping cart" a buggy.

3. Commode

This would be a toilet.

4. Fixin' to

This would indicate that someone is about to do something.

5. Yes/No ma'am & Yes/No sir

I mean, this one's pretty much a given for the South, but we do address anyone older than us like this.

6. Hold Your Horses

Yep, this is a real phrase. It's basically the equivalent of, "Slow down!" or "Stop right there!"

7. "Liberry"

This one makes me laugh because it's really not a word but a mispronunciation of a word. Instead of saying "library," I ALWAYS hear people say liberry. It's quite funny.

8. "I'm as full as a tick."

This means that you are as full as can be and cannot eat anymore, like a tick on a body. (I know, this one is weird.)

9. Too big for your britches

Basically, you are very arrogant.

10. Playing Possum

Just like a possum pretends like it's dead, when someone is faking an illness or that they're asleep, they are "playing possum."

11. "Quit your bellyaching"

You may have heard this from your Mom once or twice, but it means, "Quit complaining!"

12. "You need to go sit on the pot."

LOL! Okay, I have to explain this one. If you lived in the South, I guarantee you heard this way more than once. Every mom is a nurse to their children, but it always seems like the Southern moms had the perfect solution to everything: "You need to go sit on the pot."

In the words of Tim Hawkins,

"Hey, mom, my stomach is kind of hurting."

"Well, honey, you need to go sit on the pot. I'm telling you it will do you wonders if you will just go sit on the pot."

"I mean, it was her solution to everything! I could be like, 'Hey, mom, I think I broke my arm.'"

"Well, baby, you need to go sit on the pot. Have you tried that? I'm telling you it will do you wonders. It's ancient wisdom that only I can attain."

13. "Come hug my neck!"

This can probably be heard from your grandma, but it just means that she wants you to get over there and hug her already!

14. Lollygagging

If you are lollygagging, this means that you are spending your time pointlessly.

15. Two peas in a pod

It just means that you go hand-in-hand with someone; you are their BEST friend.

16. Ain't

It actually doesn't have a formal contraction. It has several different forms of use, but it can be heard quite often.

"I ain't doing that." (I am not doing that).

"That ain't my job!" (That is not my job).

"You ain't the guy that works here?!" (You are not the guy that works here)?!

17. Reckon

It kind of replaces the word "guess." Instead of saying, "I guess I can do that.", you would say, "I reckon I can do that."

18. Thingamabob/doohickey/ thingamajig

If you hear ANY of these words, do not be alarmed. They are only used when one cannot remember what something is called.

19. "You get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit."

Meaning, you better be grateful for what you get. You ain't gone be having no fits in mama's house.

20. Yonder

A word to describe where something is placed no matter where it is located.

"It's over yonder!"

21. Coke

This is to refer to any carbonated drink. Yep, any drink.

Even though we have some extremely crazy phrases and words in the South, I wouldn't want it any other way. Hope y'all enjoyed it!