Diagnosing Yourself With A Mental Disorder May Be Your First Step

Mental health is just as important as physical health.

27

I've heard people complain today about how everyone is diagnosing themselves with mental disorders and there are so many mental disorders out there now. In this article, I just wanted to talk about that.

Firstly, I think it is a good thing that we are figuring out more mental disorders. The first step into solving a problem is knowing what the problem is. If we can figure out exactly what is wrong with someone, then they can get the help that they need.

Instead of being misdiagnosed with some other disorder that is similar because the mental disorder the individual had was not figured out.

Secondly, why should there be a problem with people reading articles and thinking they have a disorder because their symptoms match? I understand if that person just diagnoses themselves and then accepts that is how it is probably isn't good.

Just because you have symptoms does not mean you are suffering from the disorder.

It can be helpful though.

In physical health, when someone shows symptoms that remind them of a disease, they might think they have that disease, so they go to a doctor and get it diagnosed. If they had just ignored those symptoms, then the disease could have gotten worse. It should be the same with mental disorders. This way, if a person feels they have symptoms, then they can go to a therapist and get diagnosed so they can get the help that they need.

Mental health should be treated just as important as physical health. Just because it is in your mind does not mean it shouldn't matter. It is important for a person to get help for their mental health so they can live their best life.

For example, if someone has depression, then it is hard for them to do things they used to enjoy. It might be even harder for them to get up and do anything, and this can have a highly negative impact on their life. They might not be able to maintain relationships or work due to this. It would be better for them to seek a therapist and get on antidepressants so they can lead a normal life.

The main point of this article is that mental health is just as important as physical health and just because someone thinks they have a disorder because of research they did, does not mean it should be dismissed.