5 Reasons The Detroit Red Wings Desperately Want Jack Hughes Or Kaapo Kakko In The 2019 NHL Draft

In the middle of their rebuild and youth movement, Detroit needs to add another star to boost their lineup.

77

The Red Wings are going to miss the playoffs for the 3rd straight season, currently sitting with 60 points. If Detroit is fortunate enough to be 1st or 2nd after the draft lottery, either of these potential stars could move the needle forward for the franchise going through their first rebuild since the 1980s.

1. Another star alongside Dylan Larkin.

Larkin has been excellent the past two seasons leading the Wings, but he cannot do it all alone amongst the forward group. Adding Hughes or Kakko would give Detroit another dynamic player up front.

2. The desire to get younger.

For years, the Red Wings mortgaged their future at the trade deadline to add veterans in the push for the playoffs. Now that the team is bad and still filled with players over the age of 30, adding a younger, talented forward alongside Larkin, Andreas Athanasiou, Anthony Mantha, and Filip Zadina would set the franchise up for a promising future.

3. A need for additional scoring

Detroit has not had a 30 goal scorer since 2009. Both Hughes and Kakko have the potential to put up great goal totals down the road.

4. Another roster player on a cheap contract

The Red Wings have zero cap space currently due to GM Ken Holland overpaying veterans for past success or the promise they showed early in their careers, but have failed to live up to the contracts. Drafting an NHL ready player like the two aforementioned would add great value on cheap, entry-level contracts.

5. To attract more fans to Little Caesar's Arena

Despite home attendance being at 97.6% of capacity, plenty of Red Wings home games are noticeable by empty seats in the lower bowl, many of which are bought by corporations but are not distributed due to low demand to watch the Wings. A potential franchise talent would help fill Little Caesar's Arena and bring excitement for the future.