Don't Listen To Your Depression, You Cannot Kill Yourself Without Hurting Others

Trigger warning: multiple mentions of suicide, depression, anxiety, and self-harm. Utilize caution when reading if the aforementioned topics are upsetting to you.

What if a suicide victim's wish came true?

The wish to fade away from the life they live and to have never existed at all. In those quiet moments filled with whimpers, a hollow human wishes to never have been born.

What if something listened to that plea? Something so vast and dark that memory can't remember it.

This darkness offers them a deal. The darkness offers to let them slip from this world without pain to those friends and family that would grieve their loss. The dark promises to let pass on without pain and without anything to tie them to this world. That's the biggest fear of a victim, that'd they be leaving pain for those who would care.

However, if the loved ones of the person contemplating suicide won't suffer because of her choice - what's holding her back?

A freedom from the pain, an end to the suffering and anxiety she feels every day. Sadly, the dark's offer is full of lies and false hopes.

If the victim agrees, this wrongness will swallow her and she will simply cease to be. The promises of no pain for those who would have mourned are lies.

Her support system would deal with a sense of sadness they couldn't explain. A feeling of loss and confusion, reeling from the void that couldn't be explained.

Something worse than death occurred. She simply ceases to exist. No one remembers her. She left this world without anyone to remember her.

What's left? A hole in the hearts of everyone she has ever known. The place where those memories were is just empty, only a void is left. The parents don't know why they weep, the friends don't understand why they feel something missing. The unlived potential for life is the worst tragedy of all. When the darkness takes away from existence, nothing is created to replace it.

The Texas A&M University Mental Health HelpLine is 979-845-2700. The service remains operational from 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. weekdays and 24 hours on the weekends. Call 979-845-2700 to talk about anything from anywhere.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 800-273-8255 and operates 24/7 in many languages.

Asking for help is never shameful, call these numbers or a loved one if you need to talk.