I Have Depression, But That Doesn't Mean I Cannot Manage My Busy Schedule

It's not always easy to keep going.
217

A busy schedule is hard to manage for anybody. You can keep the most organized planner and plan everything to the minute and sometimes there just isn’t enough time in the day. Managing a busy schedule can be even harder when you are trying to manage depression as well.

I keep a super organized bullet journal. I make sure I write down everything I have to do so I don’t forget. I always make sure I have my week planned out so I know where I have to be and when. The problem is I have days where I don’t even want to get out of bed.

I have been in a very good place as far as my depression is concerned recently, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have bad days. Some days I wake up and all I want to do is lay in bed, nap, and watch Netflix. Sometimes just the thought of getting out of bed is too much.

The problem is I can’t do that right now. I don’t have the option to lay in bed all day. I have to get up, get out of bed, get dressed, and I have to go. I have to go to class, work, or my internship. Sometimes my day starts at 9 AM and doesn’t end until 9 PM.

I have already had numerous days this quarter where my depression has made it seem impossible for me to accomplish everything I need to do in the day. I don’t even want to get out of bed let alone go to three classes and then go to work.

I fight it the best I can.

I force myself out of bed and I chug coffee until I’m caffeinated enough to take on the day. I know that’s probably not healthy but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. When the coffee wears off I spend a lot of time convincing myself that going to my next class is what’s best for me. I spend a lot of time repeating to myself that these classes will take me to graduation which will take me to a new job which will take me to my dream career.

Managing a busy schedule while managing depression is not easy. It takes a lot of positive thinking, a lot of coffee, and doing what I have to do despite what I want to do.

However, with all of that being said, I have found that sometimes you just have to do what’s best for you. My mental health and my well-being is most important to me. Sometimes skipping a class is okay. It’s okay to say no to weekend plans with your friends because you need a day to yourself. It’s okay to take a mental-health day.

We’re human beings, not robots. We have bad days and sometimes we just need a little help. It’s important to take care of your responsibilities, but don’t forget to take care of yourself too.