Demi's Overdose Is A Slap In The Face For A Lot Of Reasons

Demi's Overdose Is A Slap In The Face For a Lot Of Reasons

Demi Lovato still deserves all the love.

139
Instagram

Demi Lovato was rushed to the hospital on July 24, 2018 for an opioid overdose. For many, this news came as a bit of a shock. However, for those that follow her social media, it was nonetheless devastating but wasn't as surprising. Demi released a song, "Sober", in which she admitted that she had relapsed after 6 years of sobriety.

For some, the news of the overdose was greatly disappointing, and that makes sense, however, hating on her is certainly not the answer. People on social media have gone up in arms on one side or the other about how they feel about Demi after the news of her overdose.

People have become so offended by the expression of concern for Demi, remarking that "Lil Peep got no sympathy when he died but yet people are devastated over Demi." While anyone who deals with an addiction deserves sympathy and love and compassion, what people don't realize is, Lil Peep didn't overdose on pills, he was given fake pills that killed him. With that said, Lil Peep and Demi Lovato also had entirely different platforms. Demi openly talked about her struggles with addiction and trying to be sober, while Lil Peep promoted the lifestyle that is doing copious amounts of drugs. This is not to say that Lil Peep doesn't deserve sympathy, but the situations are almost too different to compare.

Not only did Demi's overdose result in an outpouring of love from fans, the love came from multiple celebrities, and while the occasion for which the love was shared was a sad one, there was still nothing but love being shown on all social media platforms in one way or another, which is so needed in our world today. With the abundance of love being shown for Demi Lovato, the social media world has finally paused to just show love (for the most part) instead of taking time to tear people down.

Addiction is a disease. Addicts should be loved and shown compassion no matter what they're dealing with. Love is never given out enough. Love on one another, check in on people you care about, and always say a prayer for the people you know, you never know what battles they may be fighting.