A Definitive Ranking Of The Cheapest, Tastiest College Foods

Cooking on a budget. I should be able to put that skill on my resume, right?

94

As college students, many of us are familiar with the strange, sometimes wonderful, sometimes awful foods that we eat throughout our experience. I've definitely been a part of the leftover pizza for breakfast phase as well as eating scrambled eggs for every other meal. Don't be ashamed if you've been there, too. Groceries are super expensive, and don't even get me started on buying healthy, organic foods (basically I'd need to average a yearly salary of a bazillion dollars if I ate as healthy as I really wanted to).

All this being said, there's actually really great foods you can eat on a budget during your college years. They may not always be the healthiest, but they sure are delicious. So here's a definitive ranking of underrated, delicious budget food.

10. Ramen Noodles

So everyone and their mother knows that college kids eat Ramen noodles. Personally, I go through phases of eating it and then casting it off for six months because it disgusts me so much. However, it's literally one of the cheapest meals ever to eat and it takes minimal effort. Boil some water, add the noodles and flavor packet, and voila! Noodles! Feeling adventurous (and if you actually have a kitchen that isn't in the dorms)? Try adding some spices or veggies (traditional ramen is actually pretty fancy). It's a great way to spice it up (pun intended).

9. Chinese Takeout

This delicacy is usually mixed with an alcoholic frenzy or late night cravings, which can make it a little bit more expensive than other meals, but it's delicious. Money saving tip: If you can, call for your favorite place to make your food then go and pick it up yourself instead of having it delivered. It saves you the delivery/tipping fee and helps to start burning some of the MSG-riddled calories you're about to devour.

8. Stuffing

It's not just for Thanksgiving anymore. It's easily one of the most underrated and least thought about cheap and delicious foods is stuffing. Seriously, the stuff (pun intended) sometimes comes in large packaging that is good for multiple consecutive meals. You can even get it for $1 at some stores. Most of all, it's freaking delicious.

7. Little Caesar's Hot and Ready

Whether you're buying it because you're lazy, you've had a late night drinking, or you just really like the taste (I can raise my hands for all three of those), Hot & Ready's is one of the best pizza deals, hands down. They're also pretty good, which adds to the allure.

6. Pasta and Miscellaneous Sauces

Every single off campus college student know that pasta becomes the only thing that is consistently taking up residence in your pantry. Whether it's penne, spaghetti, rotini, or any other noodle, I know you have some.

5. Taco Bell

While you definitely risk some tummy trouble and digestive distress by eating Taco Bell, it definitely offers you quite a bit of bang for your buck. Cheap tacos and burritos, open past midnight—these sound like positives to me. (Not for the easily digestion-ally distressed).

4. Chicken and Rice

A simple, nutritious meal that won't really hurt your pocket too much. Rice is probably a staple for most college students, and frozen chicken breasts are fairly cheap and easy to store. Freezing chicken breasts so that they last longer is a great cost efficient choice, too. If you're feeling fancy and have a little cash to spare for the week, look up a recipe for lemon chicken. I just recently tried it, and it does not disappoint!

3. Crockpot Anything

While cooking with a crockpot might remind you of something your mom or grandma does, it's definitely for a good reason. Cooking this way saves you a lot of time and energy, and typically the ingredients for crockpot recipes are pretty simple. Throw in yummy goodies, set the temperature, leave alone for eight hours, and enjoy! Bonus: The recipe is usually big enough to have leftovers, so you get to eat it for multiple meals!

2. Tuna Helper

While this isn't my personal favorite, I know plenty of people that will vouch for it, including my own roommates (they've warned me that it tastes good as long as you don't forget to add vegetables, especially peas). It's fairly easy to make, and tuna is one of the least expensive meats that you can buy. Plus it lasts forever before you open it!

1. Food You Don't have to Pay for

Let's be honest—we all know that the best food is the kind that you don't have to pay for. Whether your parents are in town and you're taking advantage of them taking you out, your roommate offers to spot your next meal, or your grandma sends you homemade cookies, it's the best. Hands down.