Eat This, Not That! College Edition

Eat This, Not That! College Edition

These healthy food alternatives and tips will keep you feeling and looking great in college.

345
Eat This, Not That! College Edition
google images

In a land surrounded by cheap junk food, dining halls, and free pizza, it can almost feel impossible to eat healthy at college. For many of us, this is the first time in our lives that we are on our own, constantly making decisions about what we can and cannot eat. More times than not, we are found guilty of placing a price tag and timer on our health. It has widely become second nature for college students to settle for the cheapest and quickest foods. Consequently, what we feed our body is a reflection of how our body will treat us. That said, we should not expect our bodies to do so much for us if we are gulping down mac and cheese bites at 2 am.

Eating healthy is by no means synonymous with dieting, in fact, dieting refers to the restriction of food to your body, which actually has detrimental long-term effects on your body. So, please do not ever go on a ‘diet’. Secondly, instead of thinking of what you shouldn’t eat, think about what you should eat. Making your perspective about food more positive is a key step to healthy eating. Eating healthy does not mean eating boring.

Another common belief I’d like to shatter is the notion that eating once or twice a day will help you stay in shape. Allow me to throw a visual reference to invalidate this BS. Imagine a fire pit. What happens when you throw more wood into the blazing fire? Now, what happens when you keep the fire running for endless hours without adding any wood? This is exactly the way your body functions, with your metabolism being the raging fire. Now, you also don’t want to throw a crappy piece of wood into the fire too, because what good would that do?

So, I have compiled some of my personal health conscious options to consider into your diet that will surely keep your fire lit.

Tip 1: Breakfast

Eat this: Whole grain avocado toast with a side of eggs, a serving of fruit and a glass of orange juice, veggie-rich omelets (SUPER cheap and delicious at CIW dining hall), granola and yogurt, oatmeal

Not this: pancakes, waffles, granola bars, hash browns, (most) cereals, French toast, pop tarts, jam and other fruit spreads, butter

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you choose one meal to eat healthy for, please let it be this one. Believe it or not, breakfast is the most satiating meal of the day, and it controls your blood glucose and other hormones within your body. Furthermore, it aids in mental, emotional, and physical performance for the duration of the day. It is important to make sure you are starting the day off right with whole grains, fruits, and protein. If you ever eat breakfast and still feel groggy, it could be a sign that your body did not receive the proper energy it needed. Unfortunately, although pancakes, cereals, waffles, granola bars, etc. might be delicious, they are your body’s worst enemy. With the high artificial sugar content, your body will crash within a few hours. So, when you wake up and have breakfast tomorrow, whether you live on or off campus, consider the healthy options listed above and you will see a noticeable difference in how you feel throughout the day.

Tip 2: NOWL & midnight snacks

Eat this: whole grain crackers with cheese, popcorn (no butter), pretzels/carrots and hummus, fruit, cheese sticks, trail mix -create your own for more fun, dark chocolate -in moderation, apple slices, and peanut butter

*Specifically from NOWL (if you live on campus): grilled salmon, grilled veggie burger, avocado toast, whole grain bread with turkey slices, DIY fruit salad

Not this: ice cream, candy, fries, chicken tenders, mac and cheese bites, chips, cookies, sugary drinks, milkshakes

One of the biggest traps that college students always fall into is the late night munching. The best way to beat this is by buying healthy snacks to keep in your room. All the healthy snacks listed above can be found at Walmart for very affordable prices, and will save you hundreds and hundreds of empty calories. A common belief amongst many people is that eating before bed is bad because all the food will be stored as fat. This is untrue. It is actually more detrimental to go to bed hungry because your body will eat the carbs and energy it is deprived of. Also, your metabolism will not be as efficient as it should be while you are sleeping. Also, if you find yourself always craving food before you sleep, this could be a sign that you are not eating enough throughout the day. So, surround yourself with healthier snacks and you will be less tempted to order food or indulge in the world of NOWL.

Tip 3: Dinner

Eat this: fish, chicken, tofu (if you’re vegetarian), whole grain rice and pasta-IN MODERATION, veggies, beans, etc.

Not this: fried foods (TULLY’S), white pasta only, mac and cheese, wings, pizza, biscuits, etc.

I will not be able to list every dinner option you should and should not avoid, but a general tip is to have proteins, complex carbs, and veggies on your plate every night. For instance, a meal consisting solely of white pasta and alfredo sauce will not cut it. The dining halls on campus are starting to do a great job with nutritional dinners. C4, for example, now has the option of steaming your own veggies, and CIW now has an amazing vegan station. If you live off campus, it is better to buy chicken, being that it is the leanest and cheapest meat. Furthermore, grab some fresh vegetables, grains, spices, and viola- you have a delicious stir-fry!

Bottom line, if there is one thing to not be cheap about in college, I promise you it is your health. Use the extra 5-10 minutes and couple bucks to guarantee that you are eating properly and giving your body the nutrition it needs. Living at college does not mean sacrificing your health for the cheaper options. Take these tips and try to incorporate them into your daily lifestyle and you will feel so much happier and healthier about yourself. Plus, that fire in your body will always remain lit.