A Definitive Ranking Of Taylor Swift's Best Breakup Anthems

Don't lie, we're all guilty of it.

18

Taylor Swift has had a song for every boy problem you've had since you were 13 and Joey stood you up for the 8th-grade dance. Whether you love her or hate her, Miss 1989 has a knack for taking heartbreak and nailing it with each passive-aggressive lyric. Yes, she writes songs about other things, but this is what initially made her famous. If you say you've never locked yourself in your room, cranked up some T-Swift, and cried, you're a filthy liar. Having had more extensive knowledge in this matter than I care to admit, here's a careful analysis of what some of T-Swizzle's best breakup anthems reveal about your love life.

1. Dear John (Speak Now, 2010)

This guy screwed you over, big time. Dripping equally with venom and genuine pain, I always wondered what exactly John Mayer did to deserve getting torn to absolute shreds in this six-minute, soul-destroying ballad. One of my all-time favorites.
"I should've knooown..."

2. Forever And Always (Fearless, 2008)

Looking at you, Joe Jonas. This song single-handedly helped me survive the majority of my high school heartbreaks. Is there anything worse than watching everything fall apart, and feeling powerless to stop it?

3. I Knew You Were Trouble (Red, 2012)

Honestly, are you even surprised? A scenario I'm all too familiar with: a boy with a bit of a reputation shows interest in you, you know better but go for it anyway... and he turns out to be exactly the manipulative douche everyone says he is.

4. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Red, 2012)

The title says it all. You've finally realized that your on-again, off-again relationship isn't worth your time.

5. The Last Time feat. Gary Lightbody (Red, 2012)

One of T-Swift's seldom-known, most incredibly underrated songs, it almost plays out as the flip side to the previous song on this list. A tragic duet about two lovers, who've evidently come in and out of each other's lives many times, finally admitting that this is the end.

6. The Story of Us (Speak Now, 2010)

Another personal favorite. You know that first time you spot your ex in public after you break up? And you have to pretend you don't see each other but you both totally DO and it's so awkward that you want to crawl under the table and die? This song is for you, my friend.

7. All You Had To Do Was Stay (1989, 2014)

You've been over for a while, and now he's trying to come back into your life. Blast this one to prevent yourself from responding to his texts. You had your shot, Harry Styles.

9. All Too Well (Red, 2012)

You're probably on your second box of cookies and/or laying on the floor. Jake Gyllenhaal, what's good?
"You called me up again just to break me like a promise, so casually cruel in the name of being honest."

10. Cold As You (Taylor Swift, 2006)

One of the saddest in her discography, this song brings back that devastating feeling you had when you were 14 and you realized your crush would never like you back. One of Taylor's few songs that denotes total defeat: No backlash or barbed remarks, just pure misery. It's the feeling of realization that you're never going to be good enough for somebody; it's sobbing into your pillow; it's knowing you gave your all and they gave you nothing; it's feeling like an idiot for thinking you ever had a chance.
"And you come away with a great little story, of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you."

11. Last Kiss (Speak Now, 2010)

Another slow, sad lament, though apparently a semi-apology for "Forever and Always." Perfect for collapsing on the floor, crying hysterically. Joe Jonas, why?

12. Picture To Burn (Taylor Swift, 2006)

The one that started it all, this was Taylor's original "bad breakup" anthem that paved the way for other such hits. It's childish, hilariously petty, and brilliant. You probably blasted this one and sang along with your best friend after your boyfriend of 3 weeks dumped you after Algebra.

13. Clean (1989, 2014)

Is there any greater relief than the moment that you realize you are finally 110% over someone?

14. Back To December (Speak Now, 2010)

Maybe you're the one who made a mistake, and didn't know what you had lost until it was too late.

15. Fifteen (Fearless, 2008)

Says it all about your first love, being young and naive, and those first lessons you learned.

16. The Way I Loved You (Fearless, 2008)

You've supposedly moved on and know you should be happy, but you can't get him out of your mind no matter how hard you try.